Tuesday 10 May 2022

Napoleonic Austrian command take 2 Napoleonic 17

 When I painted the metal Perry Austrian command figures I mentioned I might add some plastic Victrix mounted command to the three stands and here we have them, revised as it were. With the Victrix plastic Austrian Infantry boxes you get two mounted Colonels , which I don't tend to use with the Infantry unit,so I am utilising them as additional command figures to expand      ( not pad out of course!) my command stands. There is a variety of heads which are a little more caricature than  the Perry ones, but if anything it makes them easier to paint frankly. 


















In other news I've joined a local wargames club, it's funny I've been looking for one near me for a few years but only just come across this lot recently, I think they were mainly on Facebook ( which I don't do) Anyway I went along, mostly scifi and fantasy played there but there is someone who does historical , the only issue is that the whole club plays Kings of War with it's attendant basing scheme which isn't what I'm geared for. So I'm going to have to temporarily base some figures up and have a game of Kings of War historical ( having bought, printed and read the pdf) and of course spending time going through my figures for what I can field opposite an Early Imperial Roman army. It might lead to me building a Roman army based for KoW and maybe a no cost/low cost Celtic/ ancient Briton army,which I will also be able to use for To the Strongest! as well, Matt seems to like KoW and has done some nice AARs on his wargaming in the dungeon blog so I am looking forward to giving it a go but it does throw a spanner in the Napoleonic plan,  although I think I can juggle a  bit,I'll just have to find time to build my Romans at some point! Next up will be more  cavalry, Napoleonics of course ,well for the moment anyway!

All the best Iain 

35 comments:

  1. I always seem to need more command and usually the last pieces of the puzzle to fall into place when building an army. Great news that you have found a nearby gaming group. Perhaps you can nudge the direction more toward historicals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to make sure I've got some artillery and command to go with my cavalry, until my next expansion! I've still got Archduke Charles and sraff from Foundry to do but I figure I need more infantry and cavalry first! There's at least one member who is into historical gaming which is a start!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Great additions to your command stands Iain, makes them very dynamic.
    Nice you've found a local club, and hope the army build goes well, it can be a pain to have to change your style of basing to play in a different system, but hopefully the extra gaming should make it worthwhile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'm not going to go full on rebasing for the moment but it would be nice to get a game or two!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Nice looking extra command stand for your whit horde. Glad to read you found a local club. Good luck n the ancients project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, got to have at least some command and I'm looking forward to see what the club is like?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Fantastic looking command sir!
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have enough commanders Iain and these look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Iain. I don't like mixing in my colonels with the foot so mine end up as command stands as well. It will be interesting to hear how you go at the local club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By which I mean I find it difficult to find people with the same interests in period, rules etc. although I'm always open to trying new rule sets.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lawrence, I dont mind basing a future army for KoW as they will work equally as well for To the Strongest! or Hail Caesar in the shed where we are liable to be less picky!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Command stands are always welcome additions to any army. Great that you joined a local club - fantasy and sci fi always seem to enjoy the lion”s share but as long as there’s two of you, the historical group can only grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always need some command stands, it was just fun chatting to be honest, it'll be even better to get a game in too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Lovely command stands: a nice addition to any table. Perhaps you may be able to host a Napoleonic game for your new club mates at some point (hope springs eternal).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, I did broach the subject of a possible Napoleonic game, which wasn't viewed as universally negative!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Nice looking command stands.
    Hope it goes well with your new club. I haven’t played but I hear KoW is pretty nice. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, Matt plays it, I've read the rules, frankly it will be fun rolling die and pushing figures around whatever the rules are!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Austrains are spiffy as always, but the club news is big. My experience has been once you find a gang, it tends to drive gaming (and hence painting). I'll be curious to see how this plays out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus, I also find gaming drives collecting/painting , let's see how it goes?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. More nice work on the Austrian officers Iain. Like others, I wish you good gaming with your new club and hopefully it works out and you get a few regular games in as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, haven't had many games this year so just some would be a bonus!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Those are nice command figures supplied with the Victrix box sets, painted a few of those myself. Yours look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, each one of the bases is a great start for a vignette, if not a vignette by themselves. They all look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking Austrian mounted officers, Iain. BTW, I saw the recent Perry announcement of their Russian/Prussian cav set coming out. Been waiting on them for over a year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I saw that too and thought of you !
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Lovely looking command bases Iain , a club is a good thing and I have been looking wider around here to widen my gaming partners. As you mention we have played a fair bit of KoW. The basic mechanics are solid in my view but definitely on the simple side. Think cut down WAB, they work best for very large battles where simplicity and a result is required, or dark ages where really troop types and fighting styles are limited, that push of shield walls. For ancient games we do tend to have house rules for light/skirmish troops and cavalry as that is a gap in the core rules but they are easily adapted 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, yes I thought of you when they said it was the clubs go to battle rules and having read the rules I would tend to agree with you about them seeming like a cut down/ simplified WHB , not surprising as the author wrote at least one of my warhammer rule books, any expansion in gaming is a good thing anyway!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. Great Austrian commanders Iain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austrian command figures look great and you have done a lovely job on these.

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much Pat!
      Best Iain

      Delete