Wednesday 25 August 2021

Suffolk medieval buildings

 I've recently been to Suffolk for a week and while there I visited Leiston Abbey, well the remains of it  anyway. It's a pretty impressive ruin and I would recommend it if you are in the area, plus it's free and there is a classical music centre for gifted youths that make it quite pleasant having a wander around!











It's a poor area for stone, so most of it is built of flint faced with stone and the stone and some columns of an earlier Abbey were reused.  I thought the black and white stone patterning was interesting and might be worth applying to a suitable church, I'm a bit dissatisfied with my large mdf church, it might get a makeover! I fancy doing some medieval ecclesiastical buildings so maybe I'll do that instead!
Also in Suffolk but much closer to Essex is Lavenham which in the 15th century was one of the wealthiest towns in England, by the 16th century the wool trade had been undermined by cheap foreign imports ,they got hit by the plague just as they were getting back on  their  feet and the town never really recovered ,sounds surprisingly current, or is that just me?! At least one benefit was that no-one could afford to update their housing which means there is a fantastic collection of medieval timber framed buildings and a nice 15th century church, there's more than 300 listed buildings in this small town and it's been used in films from Witchfinder General, Barry Lyndon to Harry Potter. 















The black and white look isn't really kosher,it's more of a Victorian affectation, the silver finish is  more correct and the panels weren't always white. 








So maybe I should make my church look more like this?! Next up? I've acquired a pile of painted 17th century figures, I might show those before I rebase them? No painting but plenty of prep and a bit of terrain work. 

All the best 
Iain 





29 comments:

  1. Great photos Iain, sounds like a really interesting area to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus! Yes a nice county to visit!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Great photos Iain. Lots of good inspiration for the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, glad you think so too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. Your pictures reminded me of a visit to my sister in law in Margate a few years back. Her then boyfriend was French and had us all confused when he asked what a two door was. We all were thinking like two door car until I realized it was a Tudor house

      Delete
  3. Lavenham looks like a gem. The carvings on the building in Lady Street are impressive.

    Interesting to read what you said about the black and white.

    Great source of information for Early Modern/late Medieval buildings. Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you found it interesting too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. I loved seeing all these buildings, some great architectural features and nice info about the Victorian affectation of whitewashing walls and blackening timbers. I;ve been to the area quite a few times, but thee are many 'finds' I've never seen. Thanks for the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Very enjoyable to see photos of your local, period architecture on your wanderings, Iain.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joe! It's an interesting town, worth a visit, especially to such a skilled modeller!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jonathan, useful visual notes I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Wonderful architecture Iain, great for reference material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I thought it worth sharing because of that!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Lovely pictures of Lavenham Iain…
    The buildings remind me of the old Superquick card models of Elizabethan Cottages …

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful old buildings and landscape, Iain. It all looks so serene - and a bit lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,a quiet backwater, the transport links aren't great either!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Some brilliant photos Iain. Love the buildings in Lavenham.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos Iain. I used to drive through Suffolk a lot in the early 2000's, from Beaconsfield where we lived to a customer in Norfolk. I wish I had known about Lavenham as I would have made the effort to stop and have a look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity you missed it,you seem to have driven all over England!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Nice looking location and some terrain inspiration 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt,yes bubbling away in the background!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Great photos Iain - this is is one of the few things I miss about the UK - the oldest stone building in NZ dates from 1840! Driving around and seeing signs of the past in the buildings and landscape around you is a great boon - but then, we have predictably good weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a bonus to see some older buildings pretty much everywhere ( I came across a 15th century brick built crenelated manor house tower next to a sewage works the other day!) having to put on a winter coat in August, less of a bonus!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Lovely looking trip Iain and inspiring stuff too. Flint exteriors are used a lot up in Norfolk too where I lived for 6 years prior to emigrating. My mum's church is over a 1000 years old and even back then they were knapping the stone ad shoving it into the walls. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a long tradition, flint knapping,I'm looking at ways to replicate it,don't hold your breath!
      Best Iain

      Delete