Saturday 7 August 2021

Italian wars 49, Battle of Fornova,Pike and shot

 So we were meant to have one last battle of the season, before holidays and me starting a  new contract  means putting the boards back up on the ceiling, New Model Army versus newly based Covenanters, with all four of us available, then on the day, Des went down with covid,double jabbed so he's okay but flu like and not really able to come,without his New Model Army, I cast about for something to do and decided to use my Italian wars figures, so using Ospreys Fornova campaign book( with a helpful wargaming section) and Peter Sides Renaissance Battles volume 1 , I set up Fornova 1495

I set up the French under Charles VIII on one side of the river and the Italian league under Francesco Gonzaga IV,Duke of Mantua on the other, hoping with overwhelming cavalry numbers to overwhelm the French, merely having to cross the Taro to do so.

We used the convention from the Osprey book that the first unit at one of the three fords had to get a 5 or 6 or the ford was closed, after Ben failed with both his first two attempts, we said the third ford was open,otherwise there wasn't going to be much of a game! There were some Italian light cavalry on the French side of the river, a unit of mounted crossbow men and two units of stradiots,  there was a bit of toing and froing between them and a unit of gendarmes and some Swiss pike,we found out how good the Swiss were!

The French Gendarmes took a couple of hits from the mounted crossbow men and then eliminated them,the Italians used their artillery to good effect while the French endeavoured to move and unlimber their guns. The Swiss swung around to face the ford, leaving one unit to take care of the stradiots who had been stranded after failing their activation, they were unable to evade as this would have taken them off of the table and they would be lost,at least they inflicted some damage to the Swiss before they went!

Ben was having trouble moving his troops as we had rolled for command levels, most of his commanders were a 7 and his overall commander an 8, in contrast the French overall commander was a 9 and most of his commanders were an 8 which made life difficult for the Italians who were starting to take casualties from crossbows, by this time we had rolled for the scenario special rules and the rain had put an end to all gunpowdrr weapons. 

The Italians managed to get a unit of mounted crossbow men onto the ford but not across it. 

We called it now as clearly the French would get off the board .






































We had a fun time, Dan took over the French after a short while and I umpired,even though we didn't get to much combat, it was nice to get the Italian wars figures out for a runabout, quite a few for their first time! I realise I could do with some more crossbow men, not need exactly more that they would be useful! I also had a look at another large Swiss  pike block I've been slowly working on since I finished the larst batch,I figure I could do with them if I want to do Maregano.
The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed a unit of landsknechts and some Papal gendarmes which I'm not convinced were there but they were in Sides order of battle so I figured I'd include them!

It was quite nice to pack away the Italian wars figures somewhere I could still see them!











Not sure what's up next,who knows, perhaps I'll paint some figures soon? Although really I should do something about my roads, they match my basing so well they're virtually invisible, hence the grey tarmac temporary road!
All the best Iain 


44 comments:

  1. Ian, it is always a pleasure to see your Italian Wars collection out on the table. too bad the engagement was cut short but such is war (and weather). With Gonzaga University in my hometown and having spent time in Mantua, no doubt where my allegiances lay.

    I ought to give this scenario a try. I know sides' book is around here somewhere and Osprey's Fornovo is at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! Yes give it a go,I'd be really interested to see your take on it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Great looking game Iain, your Italian Wars armies look superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the photos, the armies are lovely, though I think those nice big pike blocks are the star of the show.

    Command rate 7 is quite a tough place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I do like the big pike blocks but then I like the gendarmes, artillery, stradiots...! Command 7 does make life difficult!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Great to see your collection again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say, seeing your Italian Wars figures ( and, on occasion, Mr Freitags) is quite inspirational, but I think I can resist...the number needed if I was to start down this road from scratch is a great disincentive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, Comissado and Stuart at Army Royal have done a nice adaptation of Lion Rampant that doesn't need too many to start,you'll have finished your northern war project soon, plus if you can scrape together some war of the Roses types you could do Flodden!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Some great looking pike chaps en masse there old fruit. As rross says, inspirational until you consider the time trouble and money to achieve something similar. I think I’ll just vicariously watch your gaming in this period and get my jollies that way, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! Quite a lot of it's plastic there days and you could just get Lee to paint it?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking collection Iain although the scenario didn’t perhaps give the combat expected 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Yes for the next one,there won't be a river in the way!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear your friend was unable to make it, and hope he recovers soon. The game and models look excellent Iain, and nice you that you have them on display where you can see them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, after a day Des was back at working from home and all good now!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Great to see your Italian Wars collection on the table Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. As others have said, your Italian Wars armies look excellent. Extra impressive when you consider the fact they are not uniformed so the production line is disrupted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Yes you end up doing varied batch painting to move them along!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Fabulous looking game, and sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus! All good now I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Spectacular gaming with your impressive collection, Iain! Sorry to hear about your friend getting ill - sounds like he'll be back in good health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see you collection on the table again Iain, and the banners look magnificent. After eighteen months' worth of COVID interruptions it's starting to wear a bit thin by now. I had hoped it would mutate away like some before, but it seems to throw worse variants at us. Good to hear your friend is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence! It's starting to get better here,we're heading for 90% vaccinated now ,so I'm hoping for a bit more normality soon!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. A fine looking game Iain…
    And a fine looking collection… well worth showing off…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your armies are gorgeous, so nice that I'd be tempted to knock back the terrain a bit to make them stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob! I know what you mean,it's a difficult balance as I think it's quite close to my basing!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. At risk of being repetitive, I have to say your battle reports are impressive, the pics are always so evocative. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Most excellent Italian Wars goodness, Iain; clicking on the pictures (or using the slideshow) really give a fine look at your beautiful figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Peter! There are a few Swiss in there!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. Troops look great on the table! And way to soldier on after a Covid complication!
    Neat that you can store your pretty miniatures out in Plain sight. All mine have to hide away in a dark garage. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! Game must go on ,even if we drop one player!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  19. Fantastic looking game Iain, you have built a great collection for Italian Wars gaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Trying to work on the Napoleonic side now!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  20. Good looking game and your collection is simple fantastic mate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These Renaissance encounters are ever so colourful! Congrats on a wonderful collection Iain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Mike! Good to hear from you again!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  22. Your armies are gorgeous Iain! Such a colorful period this. And I especially like your artillery!
    All the best,
    Vol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Vol! I was thinking of you as I was looking at my recently acquired "The ship of the Line volume 1" by Brian Lavery, lovely book, I'm sure you've got it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. I do Iain. It is a good reference.

      Keep well and stay safe my friend!

      Delete