Monday 1 May 2023

Pike and shot battle and artillery progress War of three Kingdoms 21

 After Salute , I sorted out a War of three Kingdoms/ ECW game of Pike and Shot back at my shed, Des and my nieces husband Dan played the game, we dug out One hour wargames for a scenario and they picked one of the scenarios I'd already played! Neither of them had played it and it was good to host and get this collection of figures on the table again. Des was defending the town with the bridge while Dan was at the ford, that  Des was unaware of to start and had to keep his troops 12" or less near the town, Des had Covenanters while Dan had Royalists. It was the scenario with whoever was in control of the hill at the end of turn eight would be the winner. 

Dan managed to move some of his troops across the ford but Des was quicker to occupy the strategic hill, there was a lot of movement and assault and it went down to the last turn but Des managed to hang on and win, rounded off a good day!












You can still see the Salute stamp on Des's hand! He had lots of ridiculous luck which he put down to the tray he'd purchased that day



I'm still working away on my contemporary artillery and although I don't usually do work in progress I thought I'd tag my artillery on before priming, pretty happy just have to drill out a couple of barrels but definitely getting there, not bad for second hand, novelty items, pound shop purchases and key rings!




Des gave me the gabbions as he didn't need them anymore, I thought they might be useful to signify heavy artillery in siege games but otherwise I will just use them as normal.

Next up ? I might finish off some more Napoleonics unless these and their crews crash the painting queue!

All the best 

Iain 

34 comments:

  1. Awesome looking game Iain, both scenery and models, and everyone having fun, is always a win in my book. Awesome looking progress on the artillery, you've really made these purchases look worth a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave,nice to host a fun game and glad you like the guns!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures Iain. They have some presence.
    I could do with one of those lucky dice trays!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes we could all do with some of that luck!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. A fantastic looking game Iain and "Yay" for a Covenanter win! The artillery looks excellent and is well worth a WIP photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I thought you'd like it as I was writing it up! Glad you think the WIP was worth it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Great looking battle Iain and the artillery looks fantastic 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super seeing more ECW action on your table, Iain! I agree with Matt. Fantastic artillery park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, the artillery park is proving popular!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. That dice roll of Des's was definitely worth taking a photo of for posterity. The forthcoming artillery looks very impressive even at the WIP stage. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I pinched his photo off the WhatsApp group very jammy!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Great looking ECW game and WIP artillery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cannon are flaming awesome. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise from a man in the know!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. The gaming pics are fascinating as usual, I can never get tired of them. And wow, those are quite some good looking cannons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber and the gun builds don't compare to your creations but I've been having great fun!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Fantastic looking report as always!
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, and some hot dice there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An enjoyable sounding and looking game Iain… I wish I got dice rolls like that…

    The Artillery park is coming along nicely.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I got rolls like that, to be fair he used to roll like you so there's hope for us all!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Oooohhhh. That’s how you get really good luck: you get a new dice tray. Gonna remember that. 😀
    Fun looking game and the cannons are gonna come out nice I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I just wish I'd bought one now!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Nice game Iain! I really like the bases matching the table!

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, doesn't work so well when I have to use a matt!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Wonderful looking figures and game Iain. That deluxe dice rolling tray produced some deluxe results then?!
    The highlight for me are 'them big guns'! Sensational. The scratch-built carriages are the pick of them too.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the dice tray wasn't even that expensive but I'm definitely getting one! The guns are coming along, primed now at least!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. Impressive ECW gaming, Iain!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My what big Gunnes you have! Cheers, Iain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I want to do some more sieges!
      Best Iain

      Delete