Thursday 8 July 2021

War of the Roses 4, 1st battle of St Albans ,Hail Caesar

 For our next game we set up for 1st St Albans ( using the recently completed buildings as well as previously done ones) Henry IV and his battle set up on the high Street  and the 2 battles of Somerset and Clifford. Opposing them was from the Yorkist point of view Salisbury on the left ( opposite Cifford) Warwick in the centre and York on the right.

As the Yorkists I had the first move, a triple move for Warwicks force brought them close to Cliffords left side, unfortunately nothing else moved as well!

































With Warwicks fank exposed Des sent his small mounted unit to attack  it,there was a fair bit of missile fire there for both sides, disorder preventing both of us coming to grips for hand to hand combat. My left wing was pushed back but eventually Clifford's units there were eliminated even though I was only hanging on. On my right flank there was for a long time a long range archery exchange as I couldn't get a charge in and Des wasn't interested except with his cavalry which kept failing their activation rolls.Ben took over from Des in the Lancastrian tag team, he started to bring out Henry's battle ( down the roads to avoid the possibility of disorder, which we said would be 50% chance) which was fun as we all know St Albans and declaring that Henry's battle would turn left at Greggs and the weird furniture store added another layer! My cavalry also kept failing their charge activation but eventually I  got them to charge,bounce off and charge again, breaking down the road into St Albans, Bens left wing attacked my right but got broken up and I was able to use large units against unsupported ones which didn't go well, Ben managed to get his cavalry back into town and destroy one of the cavalry units but then was destroyed himself. We called it as it was now midnight,  I suggested it was a draw, I still had most of my units but they were all quite tired, Des/Ben had a fresh battle but with an unfriendly cavalry unit behind them, I was probably in a slightly better position. It was a lovely way to spend an evening and had a good feel for period I felt, I like Hail Caesar's messy unsure system, you never know if you're going to get anything to work and  have  to  adapt. Nice to get the buildings on the table too, the eagle eyed amongst you might see a hastily based airfix roman fort stable in among the other buildings, next up pike and shot battle, not much painting happening, too many games and of course distracting football!

All the best Iain 

PS I've added a  photo of my right flank to show how much reduced the Lancastrians were. 





43 comments:

  1. Wow great looking game - looks like you had fun. Not sure Greg’s would have had enough hot fatty comestibles to feed that lot though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I don't know, they're stock in trade but you're right they might have needed an additional delivery!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Fabulous looking game Iain, and the best thing was you had fun, and got to game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Yes, great fun even if not to a conclusion!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Great looking game Iain, given the nature of the battle I am surprised to see so many troops still on the table at the end๐Ÿค”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! If we had carried on,units would have started going pretty soon there were some pretty battered units!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking game Iain, have you tried Never Mind the Billhooks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, no, I've got it but as I'm a bear with a small brain I'm tending to stick to TtS family of rules and Blackpowder family of rules, otherwise I will end up,very, very confused (although I remain tempted!)
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Sounds like much confusion and delay ;) One of the things I like about HC (when I'm in the right mood for it ;) ) is the unpredictability. Some good-looking units there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I like that there is no guarantee that what you want will happen, if I wanted certainty I'd play chess!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Great looking images of your game Iain...possibly could have used a little bit more narrative but we got the gist of it all...from memory the actual battle was a bit of a dogs breakfast so sounds like the rules recreated the medieval chaos pretty realistically !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, it was like watching a silent movie u til the recap at the end.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Keith, I'll try and be a bit clearer in the next one and stick the narrative before the pictures!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Great looking game, Iain! Your late medieval collection of miniatures look fantastic so all images are top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dmitry! Although mine were just the Yorkists, combined we have a lot of late medieval figures !
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your battle report and seeing your troops on the table. I am not familiar with Hail Caesar but looks like it provided a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, it's a Warlord games rule,very popular on this side of the pond, with definite Games Workshop heritage, derived from their game warmaster,a fun bucket of dice game!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Thanks Iain, very pleased to see this, the table presents a very believable St. Albans and I enjoyed all the pics. I have been using Sword @ Shield for WotR, which does have some unpredictability, but for the most part, you can still get critical sectors going, so I quite like the idea of using Hail Caesar for that extra level of command chaos.

    Your post has come at an appropriate moment as I had HC in my hands this morning - you are pushing me to get something done with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to add, I have been watching a 6 part ‘walk through’ of HC on YouTube, too basic for you, but I have been looking at them to see what separates it from Black Powder. LINK for anyone interested.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFcdbxhC3s

      Delete
    2. Thanks Norm, I could probably do with looking at it! We're getting less things wrong but we're still getting things wrong! Looking forward to your write up on Hail Caesar, we've since played pike and shot from the same stable and found it an easy transition.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Great looking game and troops, Iain! I have never walked the streets of St Albans (nor been to the UK, yet... ), but I must have played this battle at least 4 times during the many playtest games for Test of Resolve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Yes you've virtually done a lot of travelling in late medieval England recently!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Ah, wonderful WotR gaming, Iain. Love this battle/scenario - played it with Lion Rampant in the past; great to hear it worked great with Hail Caesar too. Also, impressive library in the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! I remembered you're game when I was setting up,glad you liked it and yes I have lots of books!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. A superb looking game with gorgeous units...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certainly a fun looking and sounding game Iain…
    I have had a couple of games replaying St Albans… one set in the War of the Roses…
    The other as a what if German invasion of Britain 1910…๐Ÿ˜ฒ.
    Both were fun…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're 1910 game sounds interesting!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. At risk of being repetitive, I have to say that all your reports are truly impressive, the pics are simply fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely stuff Iain and the buildings look great. I have driven through St Albans a few times but don't think I ever stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, it's a bit of a local destination, the Abbey and Roman remains are definitely worth a look!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. Nice looking game and perfect for HC with all those units looking quite impressive. You’re really making me wish to get HC on the table soon. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! Go on have a Hail Caesar bash!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Really great set up Iain, St Albans is always a tricky one as you need so many buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oli! Finally got just about enough!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. Sounds like it was a very frustrating fight for both sides!
    How did it compare to the real fight though ?
    Great set-up too btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! Bit of a mess that spilled over into the streets, Yorkists victory!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  19. Having to work around those failed activation rolls can get very frustrating, but still be hilarious in Hail Caesar.

    Good batrep mate and a lovely looking table!

    ReplyDelete