Sunday 4 July 2021

Terrain 14 dark age/medieval buildings

 I had to  get some additional buildings on smaller bases done rapidly for my battle of Barnet game and as I had already stuck some laminate underlay to some pound shop buildings (laser etched birch,complete with glitter!) I rapidly knocked them out to be both a basis for a dark age  village as I was embarrassed by what I had to use in my dux Bellorum game and also useful additions to my medieval stock and possible Lithuanian stand ins?




















Not bad,I've tried to make each one different and big enough without being too big. In their unpainted state,I got a base coat on everything ,dark thatch, dirty cream walls and base before the game. 

















So I went back to my post on open air museums from a while back and tried to apply it to these pound shop buildings, obviously there are compromises but overall they're pretty successful. There is an argument that I could have just made more accurate buildings from foamboard and maybe I will further down the line but for now these will do.

Next up,probably another war of the Roses After action report( which these buildings featured in) not many figures getting painted, more being assembled, games being played and too much football on the TV!

All the best Iain 

34 comments:

  1. Looks great Iain. Great find at your pound store. Wha5 plans have you to use the glitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Obviously they were bought some years ago, I have to age whatever wargaming products I buy before eventually painting them! Lost the glitter, was actually looking for it for a home made card!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Nice transformation, the coffee stirrers and the 'lean-to' do a great job. The point about getting presence (bulk and height) but retaining a small footprint is well made, so that several buildings can still be used to make a small hamlet.

    Look forward to the next WotR game as I am interested to see your rules handling buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! I didn't say but for speed I cut the coffee stirrers with a pair of snips,seemed to work alright!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Beautiful looking buildings sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the use of the underlay stuff. It looks really effective as “thatch” or none tiled roofing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I added it to an existing roof but you can just use it on its own ( cutting out a process!)
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and effective buildings - I like them a lot !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Joe! Not as much planning and execution as you're doing I'm afraid!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. These look great Iain, and what a great find in the pound store. What you've done to them has certainly elevated the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Yes, pimp my poundshop building!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Impressive scratch-build, Iain! You certainly packed a load of detail in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Strictly speaking, I guess it's a conversion as they started out as a kit of sorts,but I know what you mean!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Nicely done Iain…

    When wandering around a Saturday market an old friend commented that I look at everything as if it’s material to use for or with my toys…
    She was of course perfectly correct…
    This is clearly a wargamers skill…
    The underlay would be good for a turf roof as well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! Yes a necessary skill! I've done a turf roof with the underlay, absolutely ages ago, I'm messing about with making hills with the stuff!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Lovely looking buildings, Iain. They match your table very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry! They almost disappear!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. That looks like a lot of painstaking work there Iain, and the result is impressive. I don't think I would have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence! No patience, says the man who has painted 14 Napoleonic French cavalry units since January! These were largely built in one session and painted in another, not much patience required!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. That'll work. I tried to come up with an "all that glitters is not gold" joke, but evidently, I need more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,needs more work,but I see where you're going, more coffee!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Really nice, they look natural and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you did a really nice job. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turned some great poundstore finds into gaming pieces of beauty. Lovely work mate! No need for foamcore replacements at all I think

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent work, Iain, and they look even better in situ for St Albans!

    ReplyDelete