Sunday 30 August 2020

Dux Bellorum 9 Ordinary Irish riders

Here are the Irish riders that I needed to complete my basic Irish force, they had their first outing in the last battle in a semi painted state,together with the zombie slingers, I found out riders are pretty brittle in this ruleset!
As I'm on an economy drive I had to  build them from lead mountain stock ,so they started out as Newline Spanish cavalry that I picked up some time ago on Ebay as part of a weird DBA army that included a Numidian onager and cavalry and some EIR, a black tree design shield swap and I cut all the heads off and stuck gripping beast plastic dark age warriors heads on. I think they're good enough.





As they've already failed in their semi painted state I have high hopes for them! I've got to make a sabot base for them, which will be good practice as I have a number of mounted units to finish off my Pict army.
Next up,some terrain before the end of the month, eek!
All the best Iain

30 comments:

  1. Iain, Always good to reduce the lead mountain and anyway I believe the Irish and Spanish share some Celtic heritage. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good to reduce and I couldn't see a way of using them otherwise, all that Atlantic coast are related I believe!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Perhaps they will perform better in their fully painted state?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great Iain, fully painted miniatures always perform better ( it's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ! LOL)
    You've still got a day to finish your scenery, so hopefully that's enough time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Yes,I don't like using unpainted figures, they had a few coats just not finished, I'm hoping it's enough time!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. There is something very satisfying in re-purposing old spare figures to make something new and unique and you've done an excellent job there. I'm sure we could all do with reducing our lead mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it's nice to clear them out and fill a gap in an army list!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. I love it when a kitbash comes together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart work, they will work just fine as Irish and pennies were saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Need to save the pennies!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. They fit the role perfectly and have great faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! They are good faces aren't they? Pennies saved have been spent on a copy of WI with the free WOTR rules!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. They certainly look the part Iain...
    Hopefully the dice gods will now look more kindly on them...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Iain, they look perfect for the role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I think they'll do!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Great re-purposing of old 'stock', with your super paint-job who would have known ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! I think they work surprisingly well!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Great work on the raiders. Nice conversions! Hope they will preform better now that they’re painted. 😀. It’s like a reward for future glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! I'm sure they'll be better after a coat of paint!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Great riders! I like that they a bit ragamuffins style like. It gives them more personality.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Dmitry! It's a great way of describing them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey for bits and pieces mashups they look amazing mate! Hope their next outing will be more fruitful on the tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I was happy with how they came out and it gave me some usable figures from next to nothing!
      Best Iain

      Delete