Sunday 23 August 2020

Dux Bellorum 8 village raid AAR

It's been a while since we had a Dux Bellorum game but we fancied a change from the 17th century and inspired by Stew's dark age game on his A terrible  waste of time and wealth blog , we had another go with Dux Bellorum.
Once more it was early Saxon versus Irish,  Des chose the Saxons again, up to strength this time with 8 units,Leader and companions, 3 units of noble warriors and  4 units of ordinary warriors the Irish this time had Leader and companions, 4 units of noble warriors, 4 units of foot skirmishers (slingers) and a unit of ordinary riders which had been rushed to the top of the painting queue and had almost  been finished in time!
We chose the village raid scenario and worked out that the Irish would be the aggressor as they had more noble units, making the Saxons the repellars,its what they're called in the rules (lets call them defenders it's easier!)
I chose a side and Des set up a very poor village on the edge of his board( must build some dark age buildings!) I had to have a unit in the village at the end of a turn to win,maximum of 12 turns or for an army to collapse.
He set his troops up,I set mine and off we went!







The coins are leadership points that you distribute each go, we set a limit of 1 that could be used to offset a hit





The lines crashed into each other, as they were noth warrior troops this happened automatically, we didn't have to roll below our leadership on 2 die like we would otherwise to activate.


Having inflicted first blood with some skirmishers, they were caught unfortunately by some Saxon nobles, only one result really, we both agreed that skirmishers could shoot and then move,which seemed to work well, they could be quite irritating but they wouldn't win you the game. 

My (almost !) Newly painted mounted unit await the inevitable result 


Companions versus nobles, companions lose and fall back


The ordinary Saxon warriors are(mostly) pushed back

Yep, evaporated cavalry!
 Nobles supported by companions

 Noble Irish about to steam into a noble Saxon unit
 After it's been softened up by lurking slingers
 Saxon nobles returning to the fray
 Lots of units on both sides have very low hits left
 Des hits 75%loss just before I  do, plus I could get my last noble unit into the village next turn



Really, it was a draw as I had just hit 75%casualties as well.  It was great fun and nice to try out new troop types, skirmishers ( which worked out well but I haven't got the best out of them yet) and riders( lost them too early to find out much about them other that they are pretty fragile!) 
Next up, probably the Irish riders as they are almost finished, then I've got lots of ECW cavalry partially done but for some reason Pictish cavalry have shoved they're way in,next game WOTR  I think, maybe Barnet, a hail Caesar game, should be fun. 
Next post needs to be terrain as I have one week left to fulfill Dave's challenge!
All the best Iain 


33 comments:

  1. Excellent looking game Iain, the board and models were brilliant, and looks to be a fun game.
    I know what you mean on the scenery front as I've still got a lot to do to finish my large piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Buildings are a bit rubbish, I have a plan! Should squeeze some terrain out by Monday!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Each side suffered 75% casualties! Yikes! This is a bloody game. I look forward to seeing ECW cavalry and WotR battle. There has been much of late on the WotR and I am beginning to foster an interest in this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it modelled the conflict quite well, the units hung on until there was a spurt of collapses which I felt was pretty realistic, go on do WOTR, it would be great fun and you need a new project!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. Jon needs a new period... LOL!
      What are you trying to do, Iain; use up all the possible colors for his pie charts on painting stats?! :-)

      Delete
    3. Of course Jonathan needs a new period and anyway he hasn't used dots or stripes or tartan yet in his pie charts!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Congrats on having a splendid game, Iain. The Irish gang gave a good thrashing that day:) I guess you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry! Bit of a bloodbath! Great fun all round!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Nice looking game, warrior vs warrior DB games are fun, warrior vs shieldwall tend to be a bit one sided in favour of the shieldwall troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus! I plan on doing some shieldwall armies next to see how that goes, I've got to finish my Pict army first, quite skirmish heavy,should be interesting!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. That did look like quite a bloodbath there Iain, but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking dark ages game. Glad you are enjoying Dux B and that my little blog got the dark ages juices flowing. 😀

    Are those special coins are just normal currency that my isolation American eyes don’t recognize?

    Though the actual title of the blog is an terrible loss of lead and wealth’ which is based off a quote that I thought I heard that ‘war is a terrible loss of life and wealth.”
    But DAMMIT! A terrible waste of time and wealth is SUCH a better title. I am filled with regret and remorse. I feel like an author who just got told a better title for his book. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I got your blog name wrong! Very kind of you to cover the hurt with a charming compliment! The money is real money from a variety of nations and times,Icelandic, pre euro Irish and French and Italian, generally been used for TtS but useful for leadership points this time!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Nice to see a DB game up, did the restrictions on the leadership points re hits have a significant effect on taking both sides to 75% loss?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,very much so,in the last game, units just hung on fed by leadership points, by limiting to 1 they deteriorated faster,it also meant some got used to help attacks this time which simply didn't happen last time .
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Great little game Iain, I haven't played Dux Bellorum but it looks like a good set of rules. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! We were certainly entertained!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. This outcome sounds very reminiscent of many of our Friday groups TtS games to be honest - its both a blessing and a curse - it IS good to have a finite measure of who won - but often there is little logic to the winner when considering the situation on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way TtS gives you some sort of result, we were quite happy just to play through the game and call it some sort of draw!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. I have these rules, but have yet to try them. Too many projects, not enough time. Looks like fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right! Focus, it's more than just a Dutch prog rock outfit but unfortunately something I'm lacking on the gaming front! It was great fun!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Fab looking game, I've not played these rules for ages (checks blog June 2014) they did give a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I worked my way back to date from 2013 ,I've had the rules since then ,its just taken an age to get the troops together!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the report and pictures; I very much enjoyed both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Peter! I don't know how you do your epic reports!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. I doubt the village was worth all the carnage involved,
    For an 'off the cuff' scenario it worked really well and the figures look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! Yes the village is rubbish, I've got to improve it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Good gaming with great figures, Iain. Alas, I've never tried out these popular rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! You seem to have an established set of rules you use,but worth a look and the osprey rules are often reduced in sales by the publisher.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Pretty interesting. And quite a bloody carnage! It looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! We definitely had fun!
      Best Iain

      Delete