Sunday 15 March 2020

Early Imperial Roman 1 Newline onager

Last September I went to my first tournament, knightsfever in North London to play To the strongest! With my Italian wars figures as Venetian condatta as the armies had to be medieval (mine were pretty late medieval!) I have to say I really enjoyed it, it was a great learning experience and I managed to not lose every game!
 I wanted to have another go this year,the only slight  problem being that the theme is Rome and its enemies and I have neither, plus the tournament is in June, so three months earlier!
As I didn't have a Roman army I thought I'd better get some, I picked up an army box of warlord plastics in their post Christmas sale and then remembered that some years ago I picked up a couple of DBA armies back when I bought things on Ebay, put in a low bid and if no one else bids you get a bargain that you don't really need!




Well now was the moment I needed them, here is a newline Numidian onager ,I've painted the crew as Roman's in tunics with their shields and helmets stacked against their pila ( those bits came from the warlord plastics sprue)
The PVA is still wet but it's going to do!
So the onager or wild ass is a stone thrower next up will be some auxiliary infantry and I have at least one unit of legionarys painted in 1980!
All the best
Iain

36 comments:

  1. Excellent onager! Good luck with your EIR - the Warlord plastics are easy to paint, a silver or gun metal undercoat is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus! Yes I'm going to play around with the undercoates, I've got lots to do!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. That's a very nice looking piece of kit, would not wish to be on the receiving end of it! The stacked shields are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! The shields are spare plastic and I needed something to say Roman!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Good bit of kit and the scenics on the base really add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! The bits and bobs all help!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I do like artillery pieces they make great little dioramas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! Yes and the impetus bases help too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Nicely done wood, it looks a veteran piece already. Nice to be doing another period, though you have your work cut out for that June deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! Yes I have to knuckle down and get them done!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Very well done, and nice use of spare bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Good to use the spare bits up!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. This is a great looking piece, Iain! The "put in a low bid and hope for the best" on ebay works more often than you would think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! Yes, I almost filled my loft up by doing that!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Great work Iain, all the extra detail you've added to the base really sells the story

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Iain. A little bit of Ancient artillery often comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence! The only thing better than a stone thrower is 2,like you have!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Very nice, and great bit of serendipity to have some figs on hand that you can use for the next tournament round. That's how I got into Saga: I realized that my Tartars could be used for Mongols, and "poof" I was off and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed! Yes if you have a big pile of varied figures something will come in useful sometime?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Great work on this "artillery" Iain and good use of the plastic spare parts available when you use the hard plastic figure kits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! Nice to use some of the excess kit you get with plastic, not that I'm complaining, just good housekeeping!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. nice job lain. strange how certain purchasers remain firm even years, until new inspirations are released. here we are in a state of apprehension perhaps similar to the blood nobody in the streets and curfew the coronavirus shows no sign of diminishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronin! Good to have some figures waiting I think! Stay safe!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Nice work hopefully an effective unit 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Who knows? Probably not,but the next unit will I think be more useful!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Great job, really looks the business. Good luck with getting the army ready in time. Nothing like a dead line to spur productivity! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! Yes concentrates the mind wonderfully well,oh look squirrel!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Very cool Ancient artillery, Iain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another new army - those shelves are getting more packed!

    Like it tho. Hope there'll be a Scorpion to go with it too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I've got a geriatric little metal bolt thrower that might make it out!
      Best Iain

      Delete