Wednesday 12 April 2017

Great Italian Wars 4 Gendarmes and crossbowmen

Another and indeed the final recycled post from the challenge.
We have here 3 units of Gendarmes with French flags and mostly made up of Foundry figures, I have to admit to pinching the colour schemes of a number of these wholesale from James "Olicana "Roach whos Italian Wars collection is frankly fantastic.
The balance of the figures were made up of ebay purchases of unknown origin on Warlord plastic horses with Perry horse heads and armour from their MAA plastic set, I didn't use their horses as they ,while lovely, are just too dynamic and tall for the venerable Foundry Gendarmes. I have to admit that I think the Foundry Gendarmes are the best of the ones I have painted although the Old Glory are also pretty good and for the price can't be beaten. Ive got one more unit to paint , a right dogs dinner of manufacturers but once I've finished them I might photograph all my current Gendarmes together.
The first three photos show the conversions.





In addition I have some crossbowmen that were also part of the challenge, Perry plastic with the addition of 16th century europian heads and Swiss heads. It's a lovely kit that I actually enjoy assembling. The pikemen in the background I'm basing up at the moment together with some more crossbowmen.



Next up some Italian wars artillery and then a landsknecht pike block I think.
All the best
Iain

5 comments:

  1. Iain, the Foundry Gendarmes are my favorites too. Terrific sculpting which you have painted and fielded admirably. I really like your Perry crossbowmen. Great posing. Nice, Nice, Nice! I have a stands' worth of TAG crossbowmen somewhere in my painting queue that I am looking forward to tackling. The TAG crossbowmen are really good too. I look forward to seeing your pike block next.

    You are making great progress on this project. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, TAG are very tempting, in these times of austerity and with a substantial lead /plastic pile I'm trying to resist, having said that I'm off to Salute in just over a week fiscal prudence might well take a hammering!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. The best laid plans and all that...have fun at Salute!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous group of figures, beautiful job on the cavalry and on the crossbowmen, they look superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Phil and they are of course flying French flags, which I omitted to say in the text.
      Best Iain

      Delete