With the new Valour and Fortitude rules we decided to have a Napoleonic battle, with the British trying to prevent the French from leaving the table, loosley based on a peninsular battle . We set up with two brigades apeace with the French advancing up the track and the British in line.
You can no longer shoot and then assault, which makes sense I think.
The order of photos got mixed up Im afraid, the whole photo upload thing was a pain in the backside, it had just been updated, which is always fun?
The infantry slugged it out, Des's cavalry appeared and we had a swirling melee that ended with most of his cavalry being eliminated, the impetious nature of the British cavalry wasnt particularily helpful for them, if they won a melee they had to attack the next unit,with an additional penalty.
Having lost a brigade and reaching our declared end time, Des conceded,the French had also lost less units so were ahead on victory points.
The new rules worked well I thought and its just great to spend an evening pushing figures around,rolling dice and talking nonsence!
Still trying to get some terrain finished but precious little hobby time happenig at the moment!
All the best
Iain






































Awesome looking battle Iain, good you got on with the new rules, not being able to go into melee after shooting seems strange to me, I would have thought you weren't able to shoot after melee, as ou would need to load and reform the unit ! LOL
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave, its all good fun!
DeleteBest Iain
Hi Iain,
ReplyDeleteOutstanding stuff. You've hit the nail on the head there—there is absolutely nothing better than an evening spent pushing figures, rolling dice, and talking nonsense with mates! It's a shame hobby time is a bit thin on the ground for your terrain at the minute.
Cheers, Andy
I agree, Andy! Game looks great, Iain.
DeleteThanks Andy, yes a good time had by all!
DeleteBest Iain
Nice looking game, under pinned by plenty of figures, especially cavalry. The two rule changes you mention make sense and are meaty tweaks! Also good to see v&F working well with just 2 brigades.
ReplyDeleteYes, Im sure we got things wrong but it gives a good game with two or three brigades, command and control a bit easier with two?
DeleteBest Iain
Fantastic looking game, Iain. I don't really know V&F so can't comment on the changes, just so long as they work and you get a good game.
ReplyDeleteWorth a look, especially at the price but yes we find they give a good game!
DeleteBest Iain
Congratulations on your game, Iain! Napolionic is always colorful and epic!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Alexi!
DeleteBest Iain
A good looking game Iain…
ReplyDeleteAnd that’s a nice chunky looking force of cavalry…
All the best. Aly
Thanks Aly, always good to get a chunky force of cavalry on the board!
DeleteBest Iain
That's overwhelming, I love these games
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Suber!
DeleteBest Iain
Grand looking game, lovely collection on the table.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Donnie!
DeleteBest Iain
As always mate, a great looking game. V&F read pretty straight forward to me when I gave it a once over. But like with all rules, I learn best by actually playing.
ReplyDeleteReading rules is alright but having a go and making mistakes is, I agree, the way to go!
DeleteBest Iain
Great looking game as always sir!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Michal!
DeleteBest Iain
Looks like a real battle with loads of minis!
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of minis, but as Zero Mostel says in the Producers, if youve got it baby flaunt it!
DeleteBest Iain
Fab looking figures Iain..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Ray!
DeleteBest Iain
Were the rules amendment your own or in an updated version of V&F? Not shooting before assaulting seems quite sensible, although I'm not quite as sure about forcing the French into line within musketry range as that seems a bit harsh. Can they no longer press home an attack in column? Looks like a fun game as always.
ReplyDeleteThis was the,apparently, final update, as my troops were getting shot to pieces, Im inclined to agree with you!
DeleteBest Iain
Excellent looking game Iain!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Cyrus!
DeleteBest Iain
Shame Blogger mixed your images up Iain - its only happened to me once or twice. Still looks like an impressive game with lovely figures, nonetheless! I am still having issues with significant delay on my new posts appearing though - I did one about 14 hours ago and I have not seen it turn up anywhere yet, whereas the last one popped up in about five minutes - bloody frustrating
ReplyDeleteThe correct photos,not neccesarily in the right order, but theyre all there, Im just leaving blogger to it and hoping it sorts itself out!
DeleteBest Iain
Awesome looking game Iain with lovely figures and lots of them.
ReplyDeleteGood to get a practice game in to get a handle on the rules.
Thanks Ben, always good to practice!
DeleteBest Iain
Good looking game Iain and wonderful photos. The order did not seem too bad?
ReplyDeleteThose French cavalry had a day out, riding around the rear of the line to attack the battery in the flank, but their infantry looked terribly shaky, being charged frontally by cheeky light dragoons and all!
Best wishes, James
Yes the cavalry had a much nicer time than the poor bloody infantry, nothing new there!
DeleteBest Iain
Lovely stuff Iain obviously I have a fondness for the Peninsular anyway. Interestingly I didn’t think you could fire and then assault in V&F so that won’t be a change for us. I probably need to print off a version of the rules although think it is mainly tweaks ?
ReplyDeleteThanks Matt, tweaks yes, skirmishing has had a bit of an overhaul and small units of riflemen arent as good as they once were, which is nice if you are French!
DeleteBest Iain
It just looks outstanding!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Michael!
DeleteBest Iain
That is quite the magnificent display of miniature warfare! They do all look rather spectacular when you get them all out on the table like that!! I will have to check these rules out. I don't have nearly so many Napoleon's, but I feel like recently you mentioned (or played with) some English Civil War minis using the same rules...? I do have a few of those!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tim, I think the rules are on the facebook group, Des deals with that as I dont do facebook, although my dog does?
DeleteBest Iain
An excellent game there Iain and good to see the tweaks to the rules more closely follow how the French moved from column to line, to first weaken the enemy, before re-forming for the assault/break through.
ReplyDeleteYes those are the thoughts of the designer, it does leave you to get shot up by the Brits especially though, so doesnt reward following historical tactics as Im now less likely to attack?
DeleteBest Iain
Fabulous collection of models.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Chris!
DeleteBest Iain
That looks like a great game Iain. A very impressive set up too. I have never tried Valour and Fortitude, something I should consider perhaps. Best wishes, Jason
ReplyDeleteWorth a try Jason, especially as they have Spanish lists now, and of course theyre free!
DeleteBest Iain
Very impressive lovely minis and looks like fun really need to get around trying these rules. Sorry to hear your hobby time is limited please keep great posts coming...
ReplyDeleteThanks, worth looking at the rules, especially at the price, feast and famine with time I think!
DeleteBest Iain