Monday 27 February 2023

Grenadiers a cheval of the Imperial Guard Napoleonics 28

 Twelve more cavalry men of the Imperial Guard.  This time it's the Grenadiers a cheval, the premier heavy cavalry unit, the gods! I got these from Colonel Bill's an online second hand figure shop that is also present at shows, I've bought some lovely gendarmes from them before at Salute,but this was the first time I bought some online. They're venerable Connoisseur figures, proper old school, sold originally as 30mm mounted on Colonel Bill's own brand horses which are nice and chunky, I only got them because I'd seen Matts Napoleonic French cavalry over on his blue willow blog and quite fancied them and they've been fun, I had to add an eagle bearer and trumpeter, although they did come with an officer,but you've got to have a flag though right? Once more it comes from GMB and is lovely. 














I followed Peter's advice and drybrushed the bearskins with some grey. 
Played a couple of throw down Napoleonic black powder games at the club using the scenarios from One hour wargaming page 78 and 88, one scenario was defending a river crossing in a built up area with a hill behind and to the side, little knowing there was a ford on the river , the objective was to be in control of the hill at the end of turn eight with six units to each side, great fun, see saw action that eventually I just lost. With still time for another game we played a flank attack  game, again a bit of ebb and flow and surprisingly I won this time.















Game 2









Lots of fun!
More Napoleonic French cavalry up next

All the best Iain 



24 comments:

  1. Lots of fun indeed. Good old Colonel Bill. Didn’t know he did his own horses. How did you do the trumpeter conversion?

    Smashing game photos, enjoyed browsing - good marriage o BP rules and OHW scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Colonel Bill does their own line called Depot, covering a range of periods, I got rid of the carbine and fitted the trumpet from a spare plastic Perry heavy French cavalry figure,you get lot's with the dragoons and cuirassiers,OHW scenarios and BP rules seem to work well!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking unit of cavalry Iain, and nice you've been able to get some games in, that looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine mounted grenadiers! Iain, you are getting games to the table with increased regularity. I had some Connoisseur figures once upon a time. I liked those huge figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathen, painting and playing,oh my!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Beautiful unit of cavalry sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, good to see them in action! OHW seems to work whatever period or scale you are into! JBM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark,yes they would work really well with your ECW armies!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. The only two French cavalry units I'd like to paint, the lancers of the guard, and of course the Grenadiers. Very nice job on some classic figures. They should do well on the table and look good doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe,full disclosure, I have just got the Victrix lancers of the guard kit, I couldn't help myself!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking unit Iain and lots more Napoleonic stuff to inspire me 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, you seem well on your way with your Napoleonics!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Nice looking unit and I'm glad you added the flag. A table full of flags is just neat to see.
    like the games, those look great! glad you're getting in some fun. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course,all flags are good flags!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. I think the Grenadiers a Cheval are among most Napoleonic aficionados favourites and you have done them proud Ian. If a GMB flag is available for a unit it really should be used as they are great flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence,I am in total agreement!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Great work Iain - I think I have a few Connoisseur figures in my Napoleonic collection too. I must admit though, the last several cavalry units I have done have been flagless - the plastic box sets generally allow either a musician OR a standard bearer - and I prefer to always have the musician! I also read somewhere that, in general, the cavalry units didn't carry their colours into battle, unlike the infantry.
    The games look good too - I think the OHW Flanks Attack is the game Jon did recently in a remote Samurai game? I note your battles included Austrians - did they win either action?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, you're right about the flank attack, I think light cavalry didn't carry them,my hussars don't and the chasseurs I'm painting at the moment won't but dragoons and heavier and the Guard do seem too.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. A lovely looking unit Iain…
    What’s not to like about cavalry in bearskins…

    Nice one getting two games in in one evening…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to get two games in definitely and indeed, cavalry in bearskins are fab!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. A very fancy (And appropriately too!) looking unit of cavalry! Nicely done.

    Those games were good too! O for the days when I had free time enough for multiple games in one evening/day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, you're gaming time will come again I'm sure!
      Best Iain

      Delete