Monday 30 January 2023

Chasseurs a cheval de la Imperial guard Napoleonic 25

 This unit didn't make it to the big game but I've finished them now, it's a rather understated uniform I think but I do like them, since  my cataract operation in December I'm having to re learn how to paint and can't see close up like I did before, so I think they're alright but I'm not entirely sure! Like virtually all my Imperial guard figures these are metal and therefore second hand, the previous owner had picked them up second hand with their black acrylic paint worn off in various places and with only the eagle bearer apart from the rank and file, I converted/promoted one of those chaps into a command figure, the trumpeter was a Foundry figure ( part of a rather varied eBay French Napoleonic command purchase ) who matches his Perry cousins in size very well ,(one of the sword at the ready chaps took his place guarding the Emperor, the Foundry horse was definitely diminutive compared to the Perry horses) I cut his carbine off and gave him a spare plastic trumpet hand, like Keith in my hurry to get the unit done I painted him green, only realising my mistake later, still repainted he's done and a rather dapper light blue!










The flags are by GMB designs and very nice they are too, bases by Warbase. next up? More guard cavalry I think!

All the best

 Iain 

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful and dynamic, I love the composition and how you make them stand out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mate. Your floorboards must be groaning under the weight of all these troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, luckily they're all in the shed and I made the joists nice and thick!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Beautifully done Iain and the basing looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're looking rather good Iain. Wouldn't have guessed you'd had an eye op.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Chris, did you notice I didn't take any close ups?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Nice work Iain, I am battling my way through a dozen Perry plastic British hussars at the moment....lots and lots of detail on them but I have adopted a "Impressionist" philosophy to painting it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think that's best when approaching Hussars!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Lovely unit Iain and nicely brought together 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! I can’t see close up either so I use a magnifier when painting. Not that it makes me better but saves me from being terrible. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I guess it went from being able to see to not pretty much overnight that was the shock!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Great looking cavalry! Do love that style of uniforms the best. so overthetop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, I'd actually say they're pretty restrained for the period!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. nice job of re-cycling figures - the horses have quite a wonderful sense of natural proportion and movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all Perry sculpting, I have to agree with you!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Excellent looking unit Iain, sorry to hear you are having to change the way you paint since the operation, but the results are coming out the same, stunning looking units.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A cracking looking unit Iain…
    I have a soft spot for French Imperial Guard cavalry so I’m looking forward to seeing the next unit…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, yes another and then another, once you pop, you can't stop? Well I can't!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. This is the Chasseurs in their campaign dress, so sophisticatedly understated. In full dress with the scarlet pelisses (marroon trimmed white for the trumpeter), with the scarlet flammes out (white Colpack with marron flamme for trumpeters in full dress) the effect is quite different! :-)
    I wonder if a dry brush of dark grey on the colpacks, easily done in a few minutes, wouldn't bring up the detail on those nicely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken on board your dry brushing suggestion for the next guard cavalry unit, the chasseurs uniform is lovely and understated!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Maybe not the most glorious oof the Guard units but it's still a great looking unit and well done keeping them in campaign dress rather than their full dresss uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I'm not averse to full dress to be honest!
      Best Iain

      Delete