Monday 26 December 2022

Christmas Napoleonic wargame Napoleonic 23

 I can see now but not up close as I have got long vision appropriate for my age, which does mean it's all a bit different on the painting front! I couldn't really see for the first few days after the operation but I still did some painting as I had foolishly decided to paint 150 28mm French infantry/ artillery crew, 96 confederation of the Rhine and some French command between 20th of November and 20th of December, it's possible it's a unit or two too far . Still it was fun trying!





Luckily I'd finished a contract, so I wasn't working and could do day and night shifts, although there was a fair bit of additional stuff to do apart from end of year accounts.  I was still painting and sticking down on bases after we arrived in France , I ended up with 96 Germans painted and 74 French, plus 6 mounted command and a further 74 Imperial guard and 2 guns and crew partially painted and stuck down in time for the game, very loosely based on the second day of Leipzig 1813 , Russians, British ( pretending to be Prussians) and Austrians versus the French, two villages         and          which both sides needed to hold at the end of the game to win and both sides dicing for reinforcements after the first turn 































The basing on the reinforcements, both French and German I'll get around to now the pressure is off and post them together with the Imperial guard and Napoleon once I've properly finished them.   The French took both villages and got their reinforcements in earlier, the Brunswickers managed to throw out a unit of Frnch line from one village, there was an inconclusive cavalry battle in the centre, the Austrians did well against the weaker French right wing on the French left wing it was back and forth against the Russians, the final action being the loss of a unit of Russian grenadiers and we declared it a draw with each army holding a village and with comparable casualties, it was after one am but great fun!

Still trying to adjust to the eyes, I've always only used my phone to post and read/comment and that's proving  more difficult so apologies as I  have dropped behind on my commitments, I  hope you all had a good Christmas and good luck for the new year!

All the best 

Iain




34 comments:

  1. Hope you and the family had a great Christmas Iain, hope the eyesight improves quickly for you and you get to grips with it sooner rather than later. The game looked epic, and that was a lot of troops that you managed to get done in time for the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, yes , still coming to terms with it and also still finishing off the figures!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Cor, that’s a good looking game! hope your eyes settle soon. Would one of those visors with lenses help? It’s a must for my painting these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I've picked up an enlarger with added lights but I'm not sure how it's going to work with my sofa set up!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Merry Chistmas Iain to you and your family. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Vol, I hope you had a good one!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Iain. I hope your eyes adjust quickly so you can hit the painting desk as before. Fine looking game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, trying to keep the numbers up, it's just slightly odd!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Awesome looking game Iain. Merry Christmas ! Hopefully you'll get back to more normal ranges of vision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had to dodge back to your previous post to see if I had missed rage comment about your op...but I hadn't! Also noted all your replies are on 24 Dec, so obviously, the eyesight took a couple of weeks to come right.
    The game looks like the kind of "groaning table" affair we have at Barry's on a regular basis...a 1am finish is a good effort fir old geezers like us though...well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, 1am is plenty late enough for this old geezer!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Nice game Iain, and here's hoping for a speedy recovery from the operation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thing to hear your viion is getting better. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a wonder Iain, painting that number of figures in such a short time AND after any eye operation. I have trouble as my cataract op was set up for distance vision so I have to use a magnifier to paint and even then, with fine work, I lose the focus on the tip of a fine brush. Finished my 1st regiment of Swiss yesterday, hoping to photograph them today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same as you, distance vision in one and slightly less in the other so I can use a laptop, up close is super blury!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Splendid looking games Iain and yes all those figures in a month was a huge target. Glad the eyes are recovering quickly 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looking battle Iain! Happy new hobby year to you!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zabadek posted "Well done getting any painting in, so soon after any eye procedures. The game looks great and a very busy battlefield, mut have been great fun."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Joe, no idea why this didn't post originally!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stew posted "Happy new year! Hope the things with the eyes gets better. It’s such a pain. I used to brag that all my parts work but recently my eyes have gotten blurry. 😀"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Stew, everything stops working eventually!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Iain, glad to hear you're mending. I suspect once you've adjusted to the new normal, things will come into focus. So to speak. The collection is really coming together - those massed cavalry units in particular look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus, yes I think you're right, I'll eventually get to a new normal and not keep saying " but it didn't use to be like this to myself!"
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. I'm always a fan of the troops of the Confederation of the Rhine. The smaller territories have even more interesting units. Great work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I'm working on Shwarzberg-Sonderhausen now , finishing off Nassau and I've got Reuss primed for later!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. Holy heck that's an impressive spread! Crazy that you were able to keep track of everything that was going on.

    Sounds like Xmas was well spent mate.

    ReplyDelete