Tuesday 26 February 2019

Terrain 6 Italian wars buildings and earthworks

One of the aims I had for this challenge was to paint up a load of terrain, mainly for my Italian wars, so this is the first post to reflect that.

First up is the Italeri/Warlord plastic church a nice chunky piece originally marketed as a 20mm model by Italeri it's now sold as being for 28mm figures by warlord, you can see the side doors are small but overall it does a job and works for me for the period,I like the tower and the tiled roof. It was bought in warlords pre Christmas sale and given to me by my daughter who also helped build it, it's funny she was quite happy to help build the model but was mortified people would know she enjoyed watching lord of the rings while we did it!

It's also a pretty good match for the church in Kelly's Heroes which as it was shot in what is now Croatia makes sense.





Next up is a tower I'm intending to use as the Castello Mirabello at the battle of Pavia, flying French flags before it's stormed by Imperial troops.









The Bradford City landsknecht officer is for scale, it's a toy castle that I have lightly tarted up, Im rather happy at the way the roof has come out and the verdigris on the towers, it's more for 54mm figures.

Next is field fortifications which are essential in the Italian wars for the Spanish to hide behind when fighting the French!

Six 1'0" sections and two 8" sections and a pile of cheveux de fris








The earthworks are made from rendra gambions (as are the cheveux de fris) bamboo skewers, cardboard and tile adhesive, following the instructions on Olicannalads blog.


So that's them all together, the mix of scales works alright I think. The church is just under two 6"x 6"cubes, the Castello is over two 6"X 6" and the earthworks is about one 6"x 6" cube, so five cubes I think? More terrain further down the line.

All the best Iain



42 comments:

  1. It's a magnificent Church and it won't matter a jot it's a bit on the small side.
    The toy 'conversion' is a masterpiece too and without being told it was a toy, I certainly wouldn't have know.
    You're very worthy of the points, just for the fortifications alone imo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! I think the toy castle works surprisingly well and I do like the church!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. This is a great batch of terrain for your battlefields! The cheveux de fris looks especially dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice additions and making a big impact. I saw the Italeri chirch a few weeks ago, both boxed and built up and in the flesh it is quite an imposing building, though it is a 20mm fit, so had the benefit of a small footprint for the 28mm scale, while still looking the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! I have been looking at the church for some time and when it was in the warlord sale I had to get it and I agree scale wise it looks fine!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Great looking terrain pieces, Iain. I find 20mm terrain can be very good for 28mm too - some of the "actual" 28mm stuff can leave too big of a footprint. I like terrain to be more representational than actual scale in larger games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Yes using slightly smaller scale terrain helps squeezing it in to our disproportionate model world!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are ready for a serious siege! These look fantastic!

    I agree with Dean, some "to scale" 28mm buildings would be just too big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! Yes we've got some pike and shot siege rules and were going to use them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Looking good the tower is a great conversion 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Barely any conversion work, all I did was stick some balsa wood in the doorways!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Wow! Those buildings really look great and the overall affect of the terrain together is amazing. I’d say you did well on your goal of increasing your terrain collection.
    I don’t think the small discrepancy in scale even shows. All the aesthetics tie it all together. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! Yes its a pile of terrain, I'm working on a bit more and I agree the painting accentuates the similarities!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Great Stuff Iain, I really like the Italian Church. You will find loads of uses for those earthworks as well - they were certainly used a lot in 16th Century Warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oli! Yes earthworks essential in 16th century warfare, especially if you're Spanish!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Nicely finished Iain, it reminds me that I still have that church to finish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! The church would work really well in your Spanish set up I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal! That's very kind of you!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Excellent job, I also have my eye on that church! You didn't say where the palace is though? Fortifications look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! The church is a nice piece and warlord often have offers,I got the castle from Debenhams in a sale £13!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Great looking terrain Iain...
    It all fits together nicely regardless of the difference in ‘scale’.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly!28mm isn't really a scale so it's all a bit of a fudge!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. More great terrain bits and the buildings are excellent. Both will look great on your table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! Yes they'll all add to the look!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Very nice looking terrain Iain - I particularly like the church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! It's a nice model, useful in lots of settings!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Great looking terrain, your Italian Wars games will look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That’s quite a collection there Iain. It’s all lovely stuff, but I especially like the gabioned earthworks and the chevaux de frise. It covers a lot of frontage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence! The gabions themselves and the chevaux de fris are both relatively inexpensive rendra plastic kits.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Beautiful terrain! Really effective, I like the overall aspect, the pieces look impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent work on all of the terrain pieces!

    So, is an Italian Wars version of Kelly's Heroes in the offing? ha ha
    (I'm not sure how it could be translated to a time without tanks (other than Leonardo's paper design))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would watch that movie... or... play that game!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fitz! Anarchic collapse of authority, everybody out for themselves,small bands of armed men stealing gold, sounds like the sack of Rome 1527 to me!
      I'd watch it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  19. That church has been on my radar for a while now, Iain....maybe I NEED to get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it's sold by Warlord they often do deals and sales,of course you need one!
      Best Iain

      Delete