Thursday 13 September 2018

Terrain 4 Two half timbered buildings

Long time no post, summer holidays and stuff. Lots of prepping and priming has been going on, always best in the dry weather but little finished product as such,lots in progress and I have finally finished something!
Two more half timbered buildings with yards, more lowland type buildings from the book ( Discovering timber framed buildings  by Richard Harris) I referred to in the last half timbered building post,medieval England is divided into two areas ,highland and lowland,you get lowland buildings in highland areas but not the other way around.
The first has a Rendra fence,I added a diagonal strap to another piece of fencing to make the gate . It's a useful kit with various types of fencing.
The outbuilding is part of the venerable Airfix Roman Fort kit which I've had since time immemorial. I've jacked it up with a bit of foamboard and added some balsa doors.
The main building is foamboard,balsa and flooring underlay I use for thatch. I realised that I put chimney pots on the last building, which was a mistake as chimney pots come in with the victorians. So no chimney pots on these! The window pains are aluminium car repair mesh sprayed with black paint,mostly painted with emulsion paint and a bit of ink,sand and flock to be similar to my figure basing.




Its funny but the roof doesn't look that red in real life, the Venetian command are there to add a bit of scale,they still haven't been put away yet!
The next one has close boarding (which indicates higher status) but no outbuilding and a wattle fence,I guess they blew the money on the building and had to make do!
The building materials are pretty much identical to the first.





I like the top shot so I have included one of the other building. Lots primed, painting tray has landsknecht pike fighting with Napoleonic French dragoons for my attention,my nephew's came up for a game of Chosen men, Napoleonic skirmish, and asI only had infantry for my French we proxied in Ben's Russians as French,soundly beaten by Des's British rifles supermen! So French cavalry are storming to the front of the question plus I need to finish assembling and prime my artillery too.
All the best 
Iain

38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, that's very kind of you!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Excellent terrain pieces which will enhance many scenarios and periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I'm hoping so from the 15th century on and I'm even prepared to use them outside of England!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Great BUAs Iain. I like the look of those a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I think the yards help, the unit can count as occupying the built up area without sitting on top!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, nice of you to say so!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for that Mark,I hope to have some Napoleonic types up soon!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Nicely done Ian...
    The underlay works well as thatch...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alastair, yes it's funny how we repurpose stuff lying around or possibly have held onto for far too long!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Lovely work, and the fences really set them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence,it's a useful kit and gives you some details that you could scratch build but would take time.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Wonderful scenic pieces Iain, must be very satisfying to create those from scratch. So much nicer than just another MDF kit! You inspire me to attempt a couple of modest 'Spanish' themed dwellings for my 40mm's, should actually be much simpler than what you have achieved here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee,Im sure you could have fun building some Spanish scenery,at least inspiration would be close!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. That looks awesome! Very well done. I’m impressed by your skills. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew,very kind,Im sure you could build some if you wanted to!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Lovely character to them both, I particularly like the re-purposing of the Airfix building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm,yes I'm happy to see something from my childhood back on the table again!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Lovely buildings and terrain, inspired job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice work!

    I didn't know the time-frame for chimney pots, and put some on my pike & shot era buildings. And they are staying there. (they're for dwarf musketeers and other fantasy figures anyway, and if Tolkien can have hobbits with umbrella stands I can have some anachronisms, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Fitz! They're staying on my previous building too! I don't see how you can be anachronistic in fantasy anyway!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. very useful-looking building and great use tooof the old Airfix bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zabadak! I figure I'll get a lot of use out of them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. They look great. I've like the flooring underlay idea, did you invent that? I've never seen it before.

    You painted the fences perfect, not the typical brown that never really occurs in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baconfat! I haven't seen the underlay used this way before,its just laziness on my part,it means I don't have to make a sub roof,just wack the underlay on!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. Great looking building and foreground with it. Used to have that Airfix Roman Fort in times long past as well.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross! I've still got the rest of the fort knocking around while I try to work out what to do with it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Really like these! Had no idea that the placement of the boards gave indication of the affluence of the building's owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Yes the timber was the expensive bit, the infill less so,horse dung being a component part of daub (as used in the reconstruction of the globe theatre) and wattle just small branches to give you wattle and daub!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. The fencing and outbuilding finish these off nicely Iain, thanks for the tip on when the chimney pots came in.
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat,I was surprised,I think I got it mixed up because some of the tudor brick chimneys ( like the ones in Framlingham castle Suffolk) resemble pots even though they were in fact chimneys.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  19. Summer a very busy time , the buildings look excellent🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt,yes it's been a busy summer!
      Best Iain

      Delete