Friday 15 June 2018

Terrain 2 A timber framed building

I have finally finished a timber framed building I've been working on for,oh about 10 years, probably been using it half finished for seven or eight years! It's scratch built from foamboard ,balsa and the roof is flooring underlay that I had spare.
The barn is based on a laser cut building I picked up in a pound shop and then clad with balsa. The windows are salvaged from the airfix control tower and the sets in the yard are red lentils!
It's a lowland English type of timber framing, good from the 15th century on , chimneys come in from the 15th century on although looking at mine I might add something to the top of them, I'm finishing off two more timber framed buildings so I could just tweak the chimney on this one.








I've shown some WOTR figures and livestock for scale and am now pretty happy with it,apart from the chimney!
This is a fantastic book if you're interested in timber framed buildings,it's loaded with illustrations and lots of details, really good for a small paperback (sorry couldn't change the orientation of the image on my phone!) Quite a useful piece, from the late 15th century on and even though it's lowland English,I'm happy to use it all over Europe! Next up more terrain, buildings, bridges and trees not sure in what order.
All the best Iain

24 comments:

  1. Great looking farmhouse, Iain! From what is the roof on the main house made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, the roof is made from a fibrous wood flooring underlay,I wire brush/sand it,I think it's not bad and has the added benefit that I don't need to build a sub roof as you can glue it straight onto the foamboard. In an earlier post (great Italian wars 2) there is a couple of WIP pictures showing the material.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. What a lovely building, and base, nice one sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a Heinz 57 building on provenance. But the end result is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess that's the nature of scratch building! Thanks Peter!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Wonderful scratch-built terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I like the pics with the miniatures.
    That should look good on the table for sure. What is the base made out of? I might base my building one day so I’m curious. Maybe in the next ten years. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, the base is just hardboard with sharp sand and red lentils in the yard,painted in emulsion paint and flocked,so when you're youngest is in high school?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Great work on the scratch built building!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of very varied bit and pieces and a very good building as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zabadak,I'm just too tight to build MDF buildings!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Very nice work on the building! It really looks the part, and even more so in the pics with livestock and/or people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz,it does look better with figures populating it,oh and it was your building post that reminded me to revisit and finish this building, so thanks for that too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Ha! I have a timber frame inn I started a dozen (or so) years ago and abandoned... This looks great! Perhaps this will be the inspiration I need to pull it out of the box and finally finish the damned thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, they need a long gestation I find,a dozen years sounds about right!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. A very well built and unique model Iain and would make a great centre piece for any table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, I've got another couple nearing completion to give me a hamlet.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Scratch built? Looks like a nicely designed kit mate. Bloody good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai,yes I enjoy bashing foamboard!
      Best Iain

      Delete