Tuesday 7 November 2023

Valour and Fortitude second game Napoleonics 43

 We had another game with Valour and Fortitude, this time Ben took Des's Anglo Portuguese/ Brunswickers and I was the French, my limbers were in a better state, needing basing and a lottle final finishing but otherwise pretty much done, so no need for an intrusion from the Lord of the rings into this game!































I got the first go and managed to occupy both towns and the central wood and move my heavy cavalry towards Bens right flank, he formed square with his first Portuguese line unit but the Brunswickers behind the hedge stayed in line. Ben charged the town held by the Italians with his light dragoons supported by the rifles in the woods, jthe Italians were supported by a unit in the central woods and the end result was the demise of the light dragoons. 

On my next go I seized the high ground unlimbering my gun and moved another artillery unit up to the hedge supported by an infantry unit.

My cuirassiers supported by the dragoons cleared the hedge with ease attacking the Brunswickers in line and were anhihilated! That wasn't in the script, the Brunswickers were well supported and Ben rolled high and I rolled low but still trying to work out how best to use cavalry!

In Ben's go he shot mostly, nobody died.

In my turn I withdrew my dragoons  and then charged the unit at the bottom of the hill, we drew but as I  was attacking downhill he lost and as it was an infantry unit and one of its supports  was cavalry he automatically routed!

Ben shot up the battered unit that had led the assault and they failed their test and routed now it was my turn to test all units from the brigade within six inches which I  failed, inflicting a hit on each unit, ouch!

Next go I shot at the Brunswickers from the town, achieving little and supported by the hussars my last infantry unit on the hill charged the Coldstream guards who had already taken some casualties from musketry and once more a British unit was routed. With that the game ended as we had hit the arranged time with a slightly surprising French win, which was nice!

Another great fun game and we are already planning a large Christmas game when my brother in law comes over from France, although this time he wants to command Austrians, which I'm sure I can accommodate, although I could do with more French line infantry, I could also do with  more Austrian grenadiers, hussars, artillery, Landwehr oh and maybe grenzers, by Christmas and it's already November! The French limbers are now completed and will get a post of their own, somewhere down the line!

All the best 

Iain 



45 comments:

  1. Lovely looking game, what size was this overall (unit numbers and table size?). The Valour & Fortitude rule of setting an end of game time is useful and for something so obvious, it makes you wonder why we haven’t all been doing it before - well we have I suppose, but that is because we have run out of time and then it feels like you have run out of time, rather than that deadline being a pre-determined thing …. Oh, you know what I mean!

    I have just put up French Light Infantry (Warlord Games) on painting sticks and it will be interesting to see whether I can pick up some speed on these chaps with greatcoats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting time limit is a trigger I often use my remote games. When the threshold is reached before either army breaks, we tally the victory/objective points and assess level of victory.

      Delete
    2. V&F use a system of objectives and the proximity of units to them to assess victory, so the time limit set works against that background of assessing success.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Norm we both had 250 points this time on my right flank I had three battalions of infantry, a unit of hussars and a gun in one brigade, opposite them Ben had the Coldstream guards, the rifles, heavy dragoons, light dragoons and two more battalions of British line. On his right flank he had two battalions of Portuguese, cacadors, a gun and the Brunswickers, opposite them I had three battalions of line infantry, a gun , a unit of dragoons and cuirassiers all played on a 6' x4' table and yes the time thing is simple and yes we could have added it ourselves but it helps to have it in the rules for some reason, we are clearly just too compliant!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Very nice. Sounds like you have the right idea for Xmas as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we had a go last Christmas on dinning tables in France, bit too narrow and took to long with Blackpowder but I think we have a better chance with these rules!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Lovely game, but sounds like you need to get cracking on those Austrians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes a couple of Austrian units have made it to the paint table for the first time this year, up until now it's all been French!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Iain, you led your French to a brilliant victory. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, you have to be aggressive with the French in this ruleset but it's also good to be lucky!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your report Iain. The photos were a lovely feast for the eyes. Your troops look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have to download these rules and have a read through. They seem to provide a very entertaining game. Great pictures and AAR Iain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth downloading and having a go, great price!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Great looking game, Iain. I really need to try out the rules again. It does seem to play faster and smoother than Black Powder...which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, yes a faster and smother Blackpowder is about right!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Lots of eye candy on display! Congrats on the win Iain. I've forgotten what it feels like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on you we're very nearly the winner on the AWI campaign before you hot sent home in boxes!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Enjoyable as usual, I could stare at your pics all day long

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine, fine game there Iain and topped off with a win, which is of course good. Not tried the rules but might download them for ideas to use with BPII and other similar games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, worth a look, I tried to find that Plassey article in my British Empire volumes, I appear to have volume two to eight but volume one ( which it is in) is nowhere to be seen, if it turns up I promise I will post it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. I am not happy reading the Coldstream Guards routed off the table Iain! But well done on the French victorry.
    I had to laugh at the (Freudian??) typo "lottle final finishing" - is that a cross between a little and a lot??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell that the little entry on the limbers was added in at the last minute?! I was glad to see the back of them to tell you the truth!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Terrific looking game - super jealous, LOL!!! - and great write-up Iain. Hoping to put something similar-looking myself in five years time. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, come on you're on a roll, just give it a couple of years of continuous Napoleonic production!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Very very nice Iain. Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid stuff Iain I have the free copy of the rules and when I pull my sleeves up I’ll get onto those limbers. Such a lot of lovely french cavalry 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, have a look, it might suit you, on to the French cavalry next for you.?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Another cracking looking game Iain…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic looking game Iain, the armies and scenery really make it look thematic, and great progress on the limbers as well, well done on the victory, it sounded very close at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, nice to hear from you again, yes a fun game all round!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Looks like a fun game Iain! The table and figures are beautiful. Question: "My cuirassiers supported by the dragoons cleared the hedge with ease attacking the Brunswickers in line and were anhihilated!" The Brunswickers were anhihilated, or your cavalry was?
    Enjoyable report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol, sorry I wasn't clear, my cuirassiers evaporated!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. Not much more I can add Iain but the game looks great and a credit to all.

    ReplyDelete