Tuesday 28 November 2023

French limber teams Napoleonic 45

 Here are four limber teams, all four horses and drivers are 3d printed from etsy as are three of the limbers, the other one is a warbases mdf one . I've got three more mdf limbers and five more teams, the spare two teams can float and one can be added to signify horse artillery as Mark does on his Chasseur blog which I thought was sensible, there is minimal clean up , which is good as I find it difficult to see details in their raw state, compatible with Perry in figure size and nicely detailed, the gun that comes with the three team/six horse and limber has some issues the body being closer in size to 25mm and the wheels being a bit overlarge, the three gun barrel options are very nice though and at £13  including delivery the gun is a bit of a bonus really!






These also come with traces,ropes and bar's that  I don't think you get with the  Perry set and these work really well. There isn't much sticking out so that in spite if being 3d prints they seem pretty robust, they've already been in a few AARs and I'm happy enough with them in spite of rushing them through the queue! Working on scratch building some Austrian limbers, they might take a while, ultimately I will buy some Perry Austrian limbers when I'm a bit more flush and also some more of the 3d printed French, they do lot's of nice wagons and a forge but I've got plenty to paint in the meantime!







I saw a reference on a blog with the red lentil and then turned around and saw the spine of my Funken Napoleonic book and decided to change them, I think it was worth it!


All the best

 Iain 

36 comments:

  1. They have turned out great Iain, you have found some great looking 3D prints, as I find ordering these it can be a bit hit or miss, great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'm very happy with these 3d models, no lines and pretty good proportions?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. These look like good 3D prints Iain - I have a few more 3D Napoleonic figures waiting in the wings - maybe I will do them next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, yes your Napoleon vignette was a nice 3d print!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. They all look first-rate, Iain. I'm a big fan of 3D printing as you know, and you've painted/assembled the models really well. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon an ever expanding element in your collection I think?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Great work there and they look very good for 3D prints, of which I tend to be critical, having spent much of my working life processing and painting them. When they are well orientated and supported, they work a treat, but if not I cannot help but see the build layers, support structures or badly supported areas that have sagged. Maybe I need to get out more;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I'm very happy with them, no lines and well supported with decent proportions for the horses and riders, I think 3d prints have improved dramatically!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Excellent. It is nice to see limbers in 28mm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it improves the overall look I think?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Great job on the limbers! Limbers are one of the things that I really hate to paint but always glad when the task is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, happy to get these done, less work than a cavalry unit!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Nice to get them dressed, I know you have been wanting them done for a while and four is a goodly number, also the two horse team is a great for the smaller footprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a small footprint is good as it can be expanded for horse artillery, also I didn't want to make a rod for my own back as far as other armies are concerned!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. I was thinking exactly what Jonathan said. I don't enjoy painting limbers but the satisfaction and visual effect on the battlefield makes them worth the effort, and yours look terrific Iain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, to be honest I quite enjoyed painting them, the added time pressure to get them to the table might have helped?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Very nicely done Iain the two horses give a good effect. I’m planning on four horses but they will be split to give a smaller footprint when needed on the table as my ACW limbers take up too much space. Like everybody else I’m not looking forward to painting them 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, yes I think two is a good start otherwise you're halfway across the table, can't say I minded painting them, maybe it's just me?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Worth the effort but I don't like doing them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Iain, the traces look especially fine. I, sadly do not have limbers for all my artillery pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, neither do I but it's a start!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Nice limbers Iain…
    The drivers have an attractive uniform as well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I might have gone a little, operetta style, brighter but only a little!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. The limbers and your painting of them look great Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look great, nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking limbers, Iain. An often overlooked part of gaming by many. As for the sizing of the 3D printed horses, a while back I ordered some 3D, supposedly 28mm, WW2 Russian Maxim gun teams off of ebay - and when I got them they were closer to 20mm. I've shied away from 3D offerings from unknown makers since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, yes i was lucky, you have to take a chance I guess but the vast majority of the reviews of the product were positive so that's why I went with them, I've also bought stuff off ebay in the past which were advertised as 28mm but were definitely more like 20mm when I got them!
      Best Iain

      Delete