Tuesday 3 October 2023

Grenadiers a pied first battalion Imperial Guard Napoleonic 40

 To go with my Guard cavalry for the game in December I also got the foot Guard up to a minimum standard.  This is the first unit , purchased from ebay of an unknown make, I wanted the first battalion of the Grenadiers of the Guard in full dress, or at least not in trousers or even greatcoats, which would have been the sensible and economical option( eg plastic).  I rather like these figures, whoever sculpted them,when bought there was an excess of drummers, not too bad for a Guard unit although some have been drafted into the chasseurs to make up the numbers and some of the rank and file are actually chasseurs but in full dress whereas my chasseurs to follow are mostly in a form of campaign dress. I've bought another battalions worth of grenadiers of the Guard in metal from Perry's but haven't even cleaned them up let alone primed them whereas the two chasseurs battalions are up to the minimum  game standard and will be along relatively shortly. 











It was fun painting these chaps, chunky detail but easy to pick up on. I have given them black gaiters as a form of campaign dress, kosher  I think up until 1809 anyway, their comrades in both battalions of the chasseurs and the second unit of grenadiers will be in trousers. I have been forced to paint the first battalions flag in spite of purchasing the correct GMB flag but as the flag bearer has a cast flag I had little choice! It's a little impressionistic but I think its alright.  I've finally finished Digby Smith's Leipzig 1813 which was alright but could really have done with decent maps and am most of the way through The anatomy of glory a history of Napoleon's Imperial Guard, somewhat biased but if you accept that it's a great read.



I realise looking back that I accumulated rather a lot of Napoleonic books last year, I might cover that in a future post?

Next up? More Napoleonics, more terrain or additional light guns for the war of three Kingdoms/ ECW? Perhaps a French Napoleonic review, I realise I haven't done that yet and it would be good to have a look at everything, although there are flags that need finishing off!

All the best 

Iain 

42 comments:

  1. These look great Iain, and a nice find as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These guardsmen look smart! I would enjoy seeing a Napoleonic book parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan and I think I will have both a Napoleonic book and French troops parade, probably after finishing both chasseur units and some virtually finished bits and bobs!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Great troops on parade Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. You need to get your house checked for subsidence - with the weight of all the lead you must have in it! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, at least I'm not taunting you with 17th century chaps! It's alright, my figures are in the 22m2 shed I built they're all good and I will refuse any help clearing out after your experience!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. A fine looking battalion, nice sculpts, hope you get a manufacturers name. It’s surprising how many books just don’t have maps, it borders on the ridiculous in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a geographer/cartographer I agree full-heartedly! One can never have enough maps! :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks Norm, there were maps just not very good ones which seems like the rule, there's a market for you Fitz!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Lovely! I can picture Rod Steiger giving his farewell speech.
    As for that chap Broom….don’t listen to him. If you find evidence subsidence you’ll have to do something about it.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! I'm all good, worried now , sounds like hubris leading to tragedy!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Lovely work Iain. A bit frustrating you couldn't apply the GMB flag, but your work on the cast-on flag more than makes up for it. I like the present-arms pose for something a little different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes I rather like the pose for a Guard unit?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Stunning work, I love how you manage to deal with such masses and get them so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never got into Napoleonics, but I have to admit the uniforms are eye-catching. You did a splendid job painting these! And that wavy cast flag, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, started with bendy airfix 1/72 when very little!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. The grumblers approve. Very nice , an iconic unit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What’s not to love about The Guard…
    Interesting looking miniatures…I don’t recognise the maker.
    The cast on flag is pretty old school.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, yes I thought a bit old school but still 28mm, glad I took a punt on ebay!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Nice! I love the pioneer just standing there among all the musketeers with his axe!

    I love a little diversity in my own armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, yes the sapper is very characterful! What ever happened to your Napoleonic force?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Crackin looking figures Sir. Can you ever have enough Napoleonic books?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Iain and timely I have just picked up a Guard unit off eBay myself …a parade would be fun to see👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, looking forward to your Guard unit in due course!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Les Grognards have arrived, and in style (of course), too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Guard Grenadiers, Iain! I too would like a unit of them in full dress - the best look for them anywhere, including on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean , I thought you would like the breeches and gaiter look!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. They look great! The full dress makes them really easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suitably impressive for La Garde Iain!

    ReplyDelete