Saturday 17 February 2024

French artillery Napoleonic 50

 Here is an expansion to my Napoleonic French artillery to add to recently painted limbers.  Six pieces, 12lb, 8lb and howitzer, all foot,  guard and line. Three are from the Victrix plastic set up to 1814 the other three are made up of the 3d printed carriages that came with the limbers and a mix of Victrix and 3d printed barrels.  The wheels that came with the 3d printed carriages were just too big ( I'm sure I'll find a use for them) so they have been substituted with some resin wheels which while not having the right number of spokes, are at least the right kind of size, the carriages are closer in size to 25mm rather than 28mm but are good enough in my view, by using four crew for each gun I ended up with six spare Victrix crew and by utilising left over Perry elite bodies I was able to make up two more Guard crews, the Victrix heads and arms being entirely compatible with the Perry plastic figures.  There is also a 3d printed freebie I got with the limbers, a command figure with a slightly incorrect headgear but he fills a gap and looks good enough to me!
























Painted in my usual slapdash or if one is being generous, impressionistic manner they're done,following on from these chaps and in the effort of balance I have rather more Austrian artillery in an attempt to even up the arms race. Batteries are single pieces in Valour and Fortitude so my artillery park for both armies are a little excessive but they were primed so they must be painted, thems the rules and I quite like the effect of the grand battery!

All the best 

Iain 



34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michal!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Agreed, massed guns dress up any tabletop encounter. Handsome crews too by the way.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad we're in full agreement Stokes!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Great progress, thumbs up to 4 crew as the perfect match for Napoleonic canon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yes I think it makes sense?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Very nice, they look great and the massed effect looks splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Donnie!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Good looking artillery additions, Iain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jonathan!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking artillery Iain, not being a aficionado on this time period they look perfect to me, and the multiple parts from different sources work seamlessly together as if they were a store bought kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve Dave!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Nicely put together Iain. I can understand the thinking of one model representing a battery, but I think I would prefer to see at least two. I have yet to read through the Valour and Fortitude rules but every report I have read has been positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm inclined to agree and I look forward to your views on Valour and Fortitude!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Nice work Iain and good use of all the spare parts you get with the kits! I also understand the thinking behind one gun, one battery, but one of our group has a real thing about it, and would prefer we had three or more models per battery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I like to get my moneys worth out of the kit and my feeling is closer to your mates with three gun batteries!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Once again you master compositions, each one of them is a true vignette by own right. Delightful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Suber!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Another cracking unit Iain. where do you put them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, in file boxes on shelves but I'm approaching something like critical mass in the not too distant future!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Those came together really well. Look great! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Stew!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Wow!! What a sight all those cannons and their crews together was. Terrific work Iain. They'll look excellent on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Simon!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Lovely Iain, gives me ideas, for my Victrix artillery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Victrix kits are excellent, have fun!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Quite a handsome artillery park Iain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Splendid stuff Iain…
    You certainly wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of that lot…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, they look good but can they fight? For me? Probably not!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. They came out great, even if the number of spokes is off, not that I could have ever noticed a detail like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much SD!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Great looking French batteries, Iain. The Victrix artillery sets are really good with a lot of options and several guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , definitely a nice set, also without too much flash!
      Best Iain

      Delete