Tuesday 19 December 2023

Bolt action AAR somewhere in Prussia 1944

 This week we finally got my Soviets on the table, about four years after painting them! Up against Des's SS again, this time Ben took command of them while Des checked the rules.




































I'd left the terrain up at Des's suggestion as he thought it looked great, flattered I did, unfortunately after we diced for set up Ben ( understandably chose to occupy the buildings with height and nice views, necessitating me to advance the length of the board again except with two pak40s better sighted , a panzershreck and a tiger! With one pak 40 in the ruined factory another pointing down one of the roads and the tiger on the other road I decided to split my forces and push the T34 followed by the bren carrier towing my 76.2mm anti tank gun plus an infantry squad with the inexperienced squad , flamethrower and anti tank rifle on the other side, in the centre was the  mortar , heavy machine gun and another infantry squad, all squads considerably bigger than last time! I pushed up on both sides and moved forward in the middle, lost the flamethrower team to a squad that came outside in the open , the free inexperienced squad opened fire and mostly missed! I  moved the  central infantry squad into the graveyard to shoot at the exposed squad, which took some casualties but mainly so I could have a unit in the graveyard as we all agreed looked good! The T34 and bren/anti tank gun kept going and then the tiger hit the T34 through the ruined building in the row of houses, we ended up with a crew stunned and a lot of pins! The tank riders dismounted and were brought into combat with the team that included a panzershreck, on the other flank a German flamethrower turned up but was largely ineffectual, the Soviet medium machine gun moved up next to the church and took out one of the pak40 crew. The tiger turned up and eliminated the machine gun crew and then hit the chaps in the graveyard, a German motorbike and sidecar combo moved down my right flank to attack the troops moving up and a German sniper in ambush hit an anti tank team crossing the road. Mortars  from both side continued to be ineffectual! I  deployed the anti tank gun and set it up in ambush and pushed my infantry unit into the building ready to assault the Tiger , we took out the largely ineffectual motorbike and sidecar combo ( sorry Keith!) and had run out of time..it was a bit of a bugger losing the toss and having to fight my way up the board again, this time against a better deployed enemy with more anti tank firepower and of course a Tiger! In the end it was a pretty even draw. I  do think the church now needs a bit of work compared to the rest of the terrain, maybe some filler mixed with paint and a bit of work on the roof? It just seems s bit flat/mdf? All in all a fun game with maybe too much terrain?
All the best 
Iain 

33 comments:

  1. Great to see your Soviets on the table Iain. They look very nice indeed. That did look like a difficult table to navigate, but isn't that the essence of a street fight? The church looks very nice indeed, although as you say not as weathered or battle scarred as the other buildings around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yeah you're right, we just needed more time I guess and I guess the church predates the other buildings and is just missing their texture?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking battle Iain 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite lovely! Well, everything looks great on such a board. I don't think there's too much terrain; on the contrary, I believe that you had a pretty interesting urban fight, I find it all delightful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, good to get a game with lots of terrain!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. All the work on the buildings is now coming in to play. Great looking table. There is a stand alone mag in WH Smith (Uk high street) by the Wargames Illustrated people dealing specifically with MDF enhancement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I'm thinking of just adding a bit of texture/ paint mix and try and improve the paint finish on the roof which looks a bit too basic now I think?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Ooh! They look good Iain. Lend-Lease Universal Carriers eh? I never knew about that. But then I’m less of a Prussia 1944 guy and more of a Prussia 1744 one.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself more in that time period too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Chris lend lease bren gun carriers, I've got a 1/48 lend lease hurricane for an airfield too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Looks fantastic! Always very satisfying to get a long project off the painting table and onto the gaming one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking game and terrain, Iain. As for terrain - for Bolt Action, I think better to have more than less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I think you're probably right!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. I thought the table looked terrific, Iain, and I enjoyed your write-up at the end. I could almost feel the sense of your Soviets slogging up the table in the face of German fire. Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome looking game Iain, I think the terrain is right for an urban pacification, and all your hard work has revealed an excellent looking board. Close game by the sound of it as well.
    Hope you and the family have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dave and also for the impetus to get a load of terrain done!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Splendid stuff Iain…
    The Tiger tank looks particularly scary…
    Especially if you only have an anti-tank rifle 😱

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I was definitely suffering from Tiger fear!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Fantastic looking game. The terrain and troops all look eye wateringly brilliant Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice looking table Iain and personally, I think the church looks fine as is! A hard job for the Red Army boys - in that sort of fight, they need a 2:1 advantage if attacking, I would say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith I think you're right about the ratio but I am a bit dissatisfied with the church, having said that I don't know when I'm going to do anything about it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Great looking table I think. Too much terrain is a nice problem to have. 😀

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew and welcome back! You're right I should keep my mouth shut!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Very fun looking game, looks straight out of Saving Private Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SD, funnily enough they filmed Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers on a farm just outside the town I live in!
      Best Iain

      Delete