Sunday 23 July 2023

Neo classical bolt action ruined mansion Terrain 17

 I signed up to Dave Stones (Wargames Terrain blog) terrain challenge to try and get some stuff that's been hanging around for ages done. This building has been a long time in the making . The facade was built for 40k so that means built in the 20th century , the parquet floor and stairs were built for a college project over 35 years ago,  each piece individually cut and then stained with shoe polish! It's based on a piece of hardboard the floorboards on the first floor were added one fathers day with my daughter, coffee stirrers of course Mark!  The brickwork is 1/35 tamiya plastic, where it hits the foamboard I added a bit of ready mixed filler to join them together and a bit on the inside and outside of the brickwork as plaster/ render. The gates and railings at the front are from Rendra.  The mix of scales is funny 1/56 for the railings, heroic for the facade, 1/35 for the brickwork and 1/25 for the parquet and stairs but I think that Abby the Frankenstein building is just about alright! It's a  kind of shrunk down mansion, it should really be bigger but even for skirmish gaming I think it's as big as I want to go.











I added piles of cat litter with pva, I was trying to go for the airfix Stalingrad vac form terrain feel, I think that works, there's a bit of nominal architrave around the windows and window ledge ,quoins on the corners and lintels over the windows but I haven't bothered with skirting or further detail, I was going to add the attic floor for snipers but just wanted to get it done! It was sprayed black( I  masked up the parquet with some paper) and then I slopped brown around a bit on the ground and on the bricks, deliberately leaving some of the black coming through. I did the inside walls and exterior walls in a similar fashion as I wanted the black primer to suggest fire damage, I dry brushed white on the bricks and  debris which highlighted the bricks but also suggested the white lime mortar without doing loads of work! I went for the yellow exterior colour as I have seen it on Russian and German neo classical buildings and it's really unusual on Georgian buildings in the UK and I didn't want it looking British, although there were a few neo classical buildings in England during the civil war, maybe with earthworks it could be a manor house under siege?! I've added some Napoleonic chaps in but can't really see where I would use it as the footprint is too big, although the yellow colour was quite popular in Saxony in 1813? Lots of places to use it, but really it's for my bolt action Soviets to fight over, either in the country side with the burnt out barn or in built up areas with other ruined buildings. I have some more similar vintage ruins I might try and get resurrected during Dave's challenge.  I suppose it could stand in for an antebellum plantation but that would mean doing the ACW and I'm sorry Stew that's never going to happen!

All the best 

Iain 

40 comments:

  1. Awesome resurrection of the building Iain, it may have originally been for multiple scales, but I think it fits together perfectly, and looks to be a very coherent building, and sounds like you have thought of multiple uses for it already, not just the planned one ( although Stewart will be disappointed your not doing ACW ! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, glad I managed something during your challenge!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. don't worry, we all can't do the ACW. Besides that building screams oiut bombed out WWII. But even if not for best CW, that is an awesome terrain piece. I think it really came out well; there's load of details in it that really come together make the ruin seem whole but also shattered. great job! something to be proud of. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I guess there is a chance it could get used in the ACW but that would mean my nephews painting their ACW armies and I've seen very little evidence of that!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. That looks excellent, Iain, a real centre-piece for a WW2 battle imho. I must confess I did think ACW when I first saw the building's surviving frontage. But as you rightly say, its almost a timeless piece for anything Black Powder focused. Love the last pic of the French btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm with you, mainly ww2 but I'm sure I can shoehorn it into some other period, how's your Napoleonic project going?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Great work Iain, and the railings are an inspired touch. They really complete the look. The yellow colour you have used really does look like somewhere in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence and I think you're right the railings really help pull it all together!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. What a lovely piece of work, excellent on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Tiger lurking time?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Wow nicely done Iain and a BIG bit of terrain ! As you say will work in many periods 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, yes it's a bit of a lump, probably should have thought of storage but as it predates the shed not much I can do!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Excellent piece of work! Yep, could work in a number of periods and locales.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure how you managed it but it really would fit into a hell of a lot of time periods. I’d be well chuffed if I’d made it. Hope you are too. A masterclass in coffee stirrer usage, if ever there was one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark coffee stirrers are us!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. I lovely looking ruin Iain…
    I particularly like the parquet flooring…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, a lot of work went into that parquet when I lived just up from the Arboretum so I'm glad to be using it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Fantastic work Iain! Looks great. Whole town of such buildings would look even better :-)

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay , I get the message! Thanks Jan there will be more buildings but slightly different?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Not much original left to sat Iain - its very cool and definitely looks more European than British - and probably Germany and points East to be fair. A number of buildings in similar condition will suit Soviet infantry down to the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I'm planning, have got,some other smaller footprint builds on the go which I hope to cover the table with!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Quite the mishmash of stuff to make what I think is a fantastic ruined house for Eastern Front WW2. Wouldn't have even noticed the differing scales of the different bits used if you had not pointed them out. Wish I had the space to store something like this, else I'd have a go at crafting one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit too big isn't it? But as I started it ages ago I figured I'd finish it and I can squeeze this one in, not sure I can atore a table of this size buildings though as others have suggested!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. I do like that ths is a scratchbuilt from pieces aquired over the years; it looks magnificent and easilt usale over many eras of history.\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, close enough is good enough is my mantra and it seems to have worked with this one!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Wow. That is amazing craftsmanship Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a rather nice bit of work Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your terrain looks great and thematic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's quite an interesting piece. The facade is great, but the inner part, with the collapsed wall and the stairs, is pure genius. Really lovely work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, not up to your standard and without a backstory but good enough and playable!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. Excellent looking terrain, Iain. For the record, I prefer ruins over buildings for Bolt Action. Intact buildings get too complicated with indirect fire. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, yes I think ruins are the way to go for Bolt action!
      Best Iain

      Delete