Monday 17 July 2023

The last of the pound shop, novelty items and key rings, artillery! War of three Kingdoms 23

 Here we have the heavy guns, an Essex gun, two novelty items that were a couple of quid each and an extended barrel from the pound shop mighty empire reinforcements set, the novelty items have benefited from having the pound shop gun wheels and some balsa and cardboard added, the  pound shop barrel  has a scratch built  balsa frame and wheels left over from the novelty items, still turned out alright I think. I was given the Rendra gabbions by my nephew Des who was clearing out his 17th century stuff plus a resin item and I figured combined with some roughly chopped up coffee stirrers helped convey the idea of siege guns, I'll still use them as normal guns if I need to but I like the look, more Old Glory crew with the odd Essex figure, some of the Old Glory figures are press ganged billmen as I didn't have enough pure artillery chaps.



























So this is the current artillery park (excluding the Scots who were one of the first posts on this blog) I say current as I still have a few other guns that might work in the lighter range and I realise I don't have a mortar....anyway the end of my 17th century excursion for now, I feel another siege coming on but until then,back to Napoleonics I think!

All the best

 Iain 

39 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Iain, if you hadn't said where all the bits came from, would've thought it was a set from a specific manufacturer on all of these, outstanding use of different resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dave, pretty happy with how they turned out.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Once again, very impressive work Iain...with all these guns, a Siege of Basing House, or similar game, seems in order, using a skirmish level rule set like Pikemans Lament!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith yes a siege game is definitely in order!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Holy crap! That’s a serious artillery park! Time for the grunts to go reverse slope!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, here come the big guns!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Very impressive work Iain, and it just shows what can be achieved with a bit of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence,fun bit of scratch building!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Man your gonna need a few oxen to move that lot! How did we ever get by before wooden coffee stirrers were a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! I suppose it was balsa wood and matchsticks but now we get free stirrers with our £5 coffees, that's a saving right? Maybe?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. The gabions are an excellent addition, they look like they are meant to be there anyway and give the extended barrels somewhere ‘to go’ while making it right to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I had them and I thought using them would add a little something, glad you agree!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Excellent artillery, that’s quite a battery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome artillery park Iain. Siege game in the offing? 🤞
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes meant to be today but postponed for a bit!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Yep, once again, excellent work on combining various bits and bobs into a set of guns that look good individually and in combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Fitz on my combination guns, somebody else commented to me about the lack of dwarves!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Not my period as you know Iain but these look lovely. I especially like the gabbions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but thank you the Rendra plastic gabbions set is pretty useful even for Napoleonic games I think?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. I wouldn;t care about the provenance of these models as the end product was well worth the effort and as these are mostly unique pices, no-one else has similar ones !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the beauty of scratch building, especially in a period before uniformity, not up to the scale of your builds of course!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Amazing work. They look superb individually and en masse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're forming up a HUGE artillery park! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a wargaming megalomaniac, aren't we all?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. A superb looking artillery park Iain

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job on it. It looks like a serious piece of cannon. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! These look great Iain! These will definitely create some mayhem!

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad it entertained you?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dang Iain, these guns are so perfect! Your modeling skills are really enviable. Your Pound Shops are certainly better than our Dollar Stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol , not all the pound shops but you get lucky now and then!
      Best Iain

      Delete