Saturday 28 April 2018

Never mind the Soviets here's my Swiss Kiel Italian wars 18

It's been over a month since my last post (should I be saying bless me father,it kind of sounds like that?) Anyway I've been plugging away with 108 old glory Italian wars Swiss and I've finally finished them. There hasn't been a drop in productivity since the challenge, it's just I decided to do too many in one go!
Really there are three units of 36pikes, but of course they can be combined into one big kiel.













These old glory figures were great fun to paint, a pack of armoured,a pack of unarmoured pike ,some command and some halberdiers that I've given pikes to.
I'm finishing up some gendarmes that were half finished at the end of the previous challenge and have watched everything else get painted, I've got an Italian wars gun crew, I just need to paint the gun(which I don't really need) The great thing is that these can be French, Swiss, Italian or indeed Scottish(Im tempted by Flodden to be honest, just need Highlanders/Irish) lot's of landsknechts primed and I picked up some steel fist gendarmes oh and more artillery, so no let up on the rennaisance front then.
All the best Iain


26 comments:

  1. This is truly an impressive display of pike, Iain! Tackling 108 of these old Glory fellows in one tranche is quite an achievement.

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan,I don't think I'll do it again but they great fun characterful sculpts to paint!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Yws, very impressive, Iain! These OG figures look great and your brushwork enhances them more so. I have yet to get past the 15th C., so enjoy seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, you should have a go at the Italian wars,if you can paint samurai then I bet you can paint landsknechts!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a great looking miniatures Iain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most impressive unit, they look superb and the mass effect is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil,it helps that there's a lot of them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Splendid progress, as you say flexible as well a big unit ready to go😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt,always good to be able to use a unit in more than one army!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. It foes a man good to take on a big project once in awhile! Now you have this huge splendid looking bunch of pikemen. I think the large flags are especially cool. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew,every once in a while,yes,maybe not for a while?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. I really like these - the close basing makes them look suitably imposing! As you say they are indeed useful for a variety of 16th century forces with flag changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oli,yes nice dense pike block,ready to fight for anyone!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. That's one Hell of a pike block there Iain :) Great painting and great pictures. Lot's of individual characters amongst them, the OG figures are really nice sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lee,yes it's a lot of pikemen! I really like the Old glory figures, they were great fun to paint.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iain, as someone who paints in batches of 16 to 18, your 108 figures on the work bench astounds me, but the presence that large numbers of pike give are without equal. The individualism of your pieces contrasting with the unified look of the block makes for a very engaging display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm,that's very kind of you,108 is really too many to do in one go even if I split them into red /light green and blue dark green but Im glad you found them both engaging and a display!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. What a lovely lot of Pikemen! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Peter! Lovely sculpts the OG Italian wars line.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Holy moley! O_o When combined into one large unit they look amazing! All those pokey bits! I imagine they'll be tricky ones to transport to your club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, yes they need to stay in the box so they don't A stab me and B get bust!
      Best Iain

      Delete