Sunday 28 January 2018

WW2 Soviets 1

And now for something completely different! I've only done renaissance figures on the challenge, last year and up until now, well these are the start of a bolt action soviet army, I wasn't initially keen on doing ww2, napoleonic was the closest I came but both my nephews  (who I game with) have been very enthusiastic about it and I have finally succumbed! I had a first game playing US last week, really enjoyed it and am now hoping to complete my soviet force before the end of the challenge, of course I am now assembling tanks and the like and I still have plastic figures to assemble, never mind prime but I'm trying to get these done.
These three chaps and their maxim took longer than the four minutes each I'd allowed them but hopefully I can push the average time down, it's also my first go with block colours, wash and highlight, I think it's turned out ok.
The crew are Black tree design, I picked them up at colours for very little and the maxim is from warlord games. I've gone for a really dark colour for the basing, the snow is some display snow I ended up with, I think it'll do, I'm doing patchy snow so I can maybe get away with some other bits of terrain without snow! I got a great book on snow terrain, I think the first run is sold out but I would definitely recommend it, it's by Pat Smith who's silver whistle blog is great for figures and terrain, Nick who's doing the challenge and is a fellow Monday contributor has some figures in the book too. 
I've been in something of a hurry to get these done, I just wanted to do something! Sorry if it's late Sydney, I have been using the hairdryer on them in order to get them done!I should have a decent sized post by next Monday.  Black tree design 28mm figures with warlord maxim. 
All the best Iain 

16 comments:

  1. I like your WWII Soviet gun and crew! BTD I like very much too. Excellent range of WWII figures. I see you had the foresight to get Smith’s book. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, we both like BTD I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. I'm not into "modern" era warfare much (although I do enjoy a good WWII movie now and then), but you did a great job on these figures and base!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't into modern era warfare either but I got sucked in!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Wonderful painting and basing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, that's very kind of you!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Those are very good indeed Iain, shades and colours look spot on to me. The base is also very effective. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, there will be more including a certain T34!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Very cool, Iain. Coincidentally, I am presently finishing up a ww2 project myself. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, oh good! Makes a change from the 15th century!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Very nice! Are the Soviets in winter gear? Hard to tell from the pic. The colors are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, no these are in the summer uniform, I'm mixing it up with winter and summer uniforms and not too much snow on the ground.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Yassss! Finally get to see this project kick off and what a lovely start mate!

    The snow looks nice and chunky. Those poor Ivan boys must be freezing in their summer blouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally ! There is a load more incoming, it's funny I was looking at soviet infantry fighting in summer cut uniforms in December, I guess it would have been woollen, cheers Dai
      Best Iain

      Delete