Wednesday 17 January 2018

Ecw, second analogue post

So here we have a unit of horse for the war of the three kingdoms, also known as the English civil war. Eight mounted  troopers, all Essex figures, to start with. I like them, they're a little retro, cutting edge in 1986, so almost yesterday?  They're also about the same size as warlord plastics and I have happily mixed both manufacturers in the same unit in the past.  There are also a couple of Perry heads, warlord hats, pistols and hammer added. 

They currently have the flag of William Waller. I'd like to do Cropredy bridge  one day as I've often camped there and to be honest in the past drunkenly stumbled around it (it's a music festival you sit out in the rain /sun, drinking real ale all day, with music - it's fun!)  









The horses are a bit long but they're OK.  I've got a few more units to do at some point. 

Next up are a few command stands. One Perry, one Foundry and the third a mix of Perry and Essex. 








The first command stand I might use as Waller for Cropredy or maybe Montrose, although I would have to start another 17th century army for that! The next command stand is Oliver Cromwell - a nice figure and companion piece to last week' Charles the First. The final command stand is a portly Perry officer and at the moment the flag is Fairfax's but it just slips on and off. I was disappointed I couldn't find a house I liked in either Fairfax or Cromwell road when I was looking locally, so I shall need to do "Black Tom" at some point too I guess. 

Finally three battalia commanders for my Covenanters  The Covenantor army is pretty much complete but I've had Essex and Wallenstein commanding so these are replacements. 








Nice Perry sculpts with a little light conversion on a couple of them, the one with the burgonet would make a nice Swedish officer. I've been meaning to move onto the Thirty Years War anyway! Sixteen mounted figures and one dismounted gives me a total of 165 points towards my total and towards the Renaissance Duel. 

All the best, Iain.

______________________________________________


24 comments:

  1. You’re on a roll! Nice looking figures! Great production! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, they were relatively painless to paint, not sure what I'll finish next!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. You are on a roll! 165 points is good post for The Challenge.
    Terrific work and I look forward to seeing more of your ECW project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, yes it's a chunk of points for the challenge.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed Iain, some great painting there. I really like that command figure on the rearing white horse, is he a Perry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, yes the chap on the white horse is Perry, he comes in the same pack as the chap with him and the chunky chap on the stand with the flag

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that Iain, I'd forgotten about the Perry ECW's as I recall they are less big and chunky than some?

      As for Cropredy Festival, I remain a fan of Fairport Convention to this day, watched a documentary on Sky only a couple of days ago. What with Hawkwind I think we may have more in common than model soldiers!

      Delete
  4. Phil Robinson has left a new comment on your post "Ecw, second analogue post":

    Nicely done, Essex figures that takes me back a bit. I wonder if my old figures are still in service somewhere.



    Posted by Phil Robinson to caveadsum 1471 at 18 January 2018 at 10:38

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I imagine they are as your painting is that good!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. They look very nice, lovely yellow shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, lot's of variation on buff!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking work Iain...I do like ECW but don’t have the capacity for a new project at the moment.those horses do look a little odd but fine in a unit !😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I'm sure you could squeeze ECW in! Yes, long horse's but ok as a complete unit I couldn't mix them with warlord or Perry.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Very nice looking Renn cav, Iain. I also think the Essex figures still look fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, yes I think they hold up pretty well considering their age.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, that's very kind of you!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. ANother great load of painted things. Really like that you are powering through all this stuff mate. Do you display your collections at your house at all? In a case or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there in the shed in boxes, once I've got the shed finished I might be able to squeeze in some shelves!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. The Essex figures hold up pretty well!

    Oooh! Do Montrose!

    ReplyDelete