Saturday 9 December 2017

One hour wargame

Well, I've made a hash of this, I'll tell a story and you can guess which order the photos go! 
We had a go at one hour wargame the other evening and decided to use our medieval forces as they haven't had a run out for ages it's all been pike and shot, not bad but  we fancied a change. 
We also wanted to try a different system. With 1 hour wargame it's a 3'x3'square, 15turns,and each unit has 15 hit points. We started with scenario not which had a  crossroads and a hill and the aim was to be in control of both by the end. Now the other aspect of this system is you roll for what your army is and we both rolled up 4 units of mounted knights each, now our late medieval war of the roses forces don't have many mounted knights, they're predominantly foot.  Luckily I had plenty of gendarmes to stand in together on my side with a unit of levy  (bill ?) and missile, I used crossbow men, Des had dismounted men at arms and a unit of levy, knights are great in attack but not as resilient as dismounted maa missile fire is pretty effective and flank attacks are devastating.  The first game lasted 15 minutes, Des didn't have any units left combat is brutal but surprisingly subtle, on a number of occasions archers and levy stubbornly held up maa and knights when we both expected them to dissappear! 
The second game the aim was to be in control of two bridges at the end of turn 15. We rolled the same armies as before.  I held one with my crossbow men the other I was battling levy with my knights but Des's levy were on the bridge so a draw. 
Third game was bridge head  , blue  (Des) starts with one unit on my side of the river by the end of turn 15 there could be no blue units on my side in order for me to win , every go a unit of blues would turn up, every other go two of my units would turn up and I'd have to dice for where they were, this time I had less knights, two units of crossbow and a unit of maa, I was pretty lucky with the arrival points, Des's maa failed to perform and it ended up the last turn with some damaged knights taking out the last unit of levy to give me the game. Great fun pick up game, I'm sure we will be playing it more I've got to finish the house then I'll be able to clear the shed and double the playing area to 8'x6'before then I really need to finish off some terrain. 
 








 




Well I hope you have been able to work out which is which. Next up War of the roses Lancastrians I think. Next time I'll sort the order out before I upload it! 
Best Iain 

14 comments:

  1. Looks simple and superb, beautiful figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I haven't yet mastered the AAR but at least it's a start and just nice to get the toys on the table!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Iain, you gave us all a puzzle to solve!

    Game One over in fifteen minutes is astounding. How did you manage to inflict so much damage in so little time? I found taking 15 hits in OHW can take around four turns to eliminate an opponent.

    Good to see your troops in action on table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the only ranged weapon unit which helped, hitting on the flanks where you get double the damage helped too getting lots of high dice for damage helped most!
      Also I guess because it was the first try out of the game Des was a little spread out so I was able to gang up and eliminate him in detail.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Fun gaming with beautiful figures, Iain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of fun, glad you liked the figures, next up War of the roses, right up your street!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fun was had.

    I have the 1HW book, but have yet to try playing any games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun was definitely had! Try the 1HW the scenarios are balanced and there is more nuance than I expected , nice fun, fast pick up and play game.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. They look like fun games Iain. Always great to get the figures on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice making and painting but also good to play!
      Best Iain

      Delete