Friday 22 December 2017

War of the roses 2

So here is my Yorkist force for the battle of Barnet to go with the Lancastrian force I posted earlier . Most historians
place Gloucester on the right Hastings on the left and Edward leading the central battle  (keeping an eye on his brother Clarence who was also Warwicks son in law and had only recently defected to Edward )
 However the first history written after the battle places Gloucester on the left and Hastings on the right, the same as the battle of Tewkesbury later that year, as the left battle was outflanked and took a fair bit of damage maybe the Yorkist put a spin on it later on and said Gloucester was on the right all along?
Gloucester, Edward and Clarence all had they're retinues in the same deep red and blue livery
Here we have Edward with his standard and a herald. 
And from the back.
Here is a unit of dismounted men at arms flying the royal banner and the banner of Lord Sale which can be used as an alternative command unit. 

A unit of archers and of bills in the royal livery.
Some Flemish handguners Edward is reported to have brought over with him from burgundy. 



Gloucester's battle, a unit of men at arms ,with his banner and personal sign ,a bull.  The spears who were definitely at Tewkesbury have been given lord Audleys banner which is probably not accurate but at least he was at Barnet and Tewkesbury. 



Lord Hastings battle is the final one archers bill and cannon under his distinctive, graphic banner and a shot of the whole army .I will be adding to both armies even though they are only now finally finished with bases and flags. I have the Perrys plastic dismounted men at arms box and I fancy doing some more bills and bows as I don't think either army is really big enough for hail Caeser which is what we will probably use. 
Oh and for Tim here is my kitchen, I've just finished painting the walls, ceiling skirting newel posts, spindles and units. 

Now it's all about the Analogue painting challenge and of course Merry Christmas! 
All the best Iain 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely army and a lovely kitchen, Iain.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on both counts Jonathan!
      Merry Christmas!
      Iain

      Delete
  2. Beautiful units...Have a nice Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice kitchen and miniatures!
    I noticed some of the archer trays have bases with arrows stuck in them in place of bases with archers. Is that to indicate casualties? Or just to fill out the tray? Or indicate that it's understrength?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fitz, thanks,I wanted less density for the archers compared to the dismounted men at arms and the bill men, which was fine when they were on impetus bases but left gaps on the sabot base's so I used the arrows to fill them out.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! On to napoleonics soon!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. On the 29th Dean M posted Love seeing your WotR collection growing, Iain. BTW, I wouldn't worry about having massive numbers of figures for Hail Caesar - particularly if you're supplying troops for both sides. I used those rules (simplified) for several games in the past with 6-figure units of foot and 3-figure units of cav. It worked well IMO.
    Blogger sent it to my email but it didn't post here, weird?
    Thanks Dean, if I'm honest I just want the spectacle of lots of painted Perry plastics! I really like the bill and bows kit.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice job on those WoR figures Iain, it's a period I have never done but it looks so colourful. And your kitchen looks wonderful, just showed my Wife, probably shouldn't have done that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, I'm sure you could knock a couple of armies out in no time judging by your ECW troops, and your wife will have a new kitchen in March?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. These really are looking nice.

    My experience with HC is that you need 3 divisions of 3-4 units each for it to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I guess that's what I figured it sounds about the same as pike and shot which are all part of that same family of games, I have got some painted 25mm hundred years war archers and a box of Perry plastics HYW archers, I'm not going to be button counting in a medieval battle!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. You could play Hail Caesar with pieces of 3x5 card with unit names written on when it comes down to it. But it'd look like crap. Heh.

    Fantastic looking collection mate. WotR is not a setting I'd collect for, but when I see armies like this with the banners and coloured uniforms, it does look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, it's a period I really like, it's quite dark and bloody but in recognisably place's you know, I'm not that keen on paper slips to be honest!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post, and hope to read more. thank you so much for sharing this informative blog.
    Cock Fighting Online

    ReplyDelete