Wednesday 13 March 2024

Four battalions of Austrian infantry Napoleonic 52

 Here are four battalions ( of twenty four figures) of Austrian infantry in mostly Perry plastics with some additional Foundry and unknown metal command figures with added Victrix heads on 45mm x 45mm x 2mm bases from Warbases. They are in pink facings Ferdinad Von Wurttemberg  38 Walloon, in yellow facings Josaias Coburg Moravian 22 , in dark green facings Baron Freilich 28 and in deep red facings d'Aspre Bohemian 18 , all at Wagram 1809 in their neoclassical helmets, two units have the first battalions  white Colonels colour and the  others have the yellow national  colour. The colourful facings are one of the best bits about the Austrian line infantry, painted in GW contrast paint (apothecary white) Liquatex burnt umber and black acrylic ink and various citadel ,vallejo and miniature paints that I got from orcs nest in seven dials in London when they used to stock them. The aim this year is to paint 400 Napoleonic figures plus Romans and anything else that takes my fancy but this is almost a quarter of that target, I've got another ninety six Napoleonic figures partially completed, I've taken to painting these already based as it saves a bit of time ( every little helps!) and means I concentrate a bit more on the front figure, which also helps time wise. With the Austrians the flagpoles are always fun with their stripes to add a little colour to a rather restrained Napoleonic uniform. I do like them, which is good as I still have hundreds left! 






















Google has managed to mix the order but you get the idea! 

Next up ? Probably another Lion Rampant AAR, seems to be getting traction here!

All the best

 Iain 


 

36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Michal!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Cracking start to your target figure Iain, and they all look very impressive all ranked up, great that elements give you interesting points and help keep the enjoyment going on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, well they're actually additional, I think I'm up to 185 Napoleonic figures so far including horses gun and limber crew so I'm optimistic!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Very nice Iain...I agree, the different facing colours on the Austrian infantry is what keeps you sane, when painting all that white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I think I must be conditioned to it now as I don't seem to mind?!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Great stuff, really good work and although the uniform is not the most exciting there is just something about the Austrian army that makes it one of my favourites, so it's nice to see so many of them, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Donnie, I totally agree!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Richard!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Nice job Iain, 100 is certainly some going …. As is the target of 400!

    I have just been doing Austrians and Apothecary White does seem the best way to go …. Those bottles really need shaking though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I seem to be grinding them out, I think I just stir them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. My word Iain, that's an impressive sight! I have nothing but admiration for those that can keep going on a project such as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, nit up to your high standard but lots of them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Great work Iain, and you are already over a quarter of the way to your target and we are not yet that far into the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, well with gun crews, ADCs, limber crews and horses I think I'm at 185, queue rendition of we're almost there, living on a prayer etc etc!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Nice work Iain. Who says Austrians are boring? Love the greater variety of uniform you get in this middle Napoleonic period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris yes this period is the sweet spot for me for Napoleonic uniforms!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Wow, the numbers you manage are science fiction to me, I'm amazed by your output, both in numbers and quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, churning them out but not up to your standard!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Great work! Inspiring, as I plunk through my own white coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, good luck fitting them in around your airforce!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Wow... that is a lot of dudes in white uniforms. I am as equally impressed by people who can paint white uniforms as I am by people who can wear white clothes. Any time I've gotten the silly idea that I can wear white clothes and buy a white shirt, within five minutes of putting it on it is guaranteed to be stained with ketchup, ink, paint, and dirt... and I don't even eat ketchup or go outside!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, yes I think we all see why Napoleon decided nit to go back to white uniforms and stick with blue!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Excellent work on those uniforms Iain! Looking forward to some LR AAR's:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I've got a few coming up!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Dear Lord... there's more Naps in this posting than I'd paint in a year. You are a machine, Iain!!! LOL!!! Cracking work, and you definitely deserve a game after all that white. Top work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, working in large numbers works for me!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. 400+ figures to be assembled and painted this year Iain to this quality, all l can say is wow. I am plodding through my Victrix Bavarian pack of 58 figures, and, at the rate I am going, they will take me to August or September. At least I will not have to lay out more $$ for figures I can't get to painting for a while. I have some French line foot artillery to do after the Bavarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest they have been assembled and primed before this year, which does take a lot of time, I was pleased when I got virtually all the French assembled and primed, I'll be even happier when they're painted!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. These look superb Iain. Those white uniforms are always tricky and getting the belts to stand out as you have is no mean feat either!
    Regards, James
    p.s. I have found that if I load few photos at once (say 3–5) blogger does not seem to mess with the order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot James, usually it's fine, just every now and again it messes with me!
      Best Iain

      Delete