Sunday 9 April 2023

Royalist cuirassiers War of three Kingdoms 20

 Not a Napoleonic post? A first for a while, we have here a unit of Royalist cuirassiers, I know  that there is no historical record , however I'll use this as a royal lifeguard unit and if I'm being honest, I have an ulterior motive with this unit and that is to use them in the Thirty years war, where I will need lot's more, mmm Polish winged hussars, Ottomans, all far removed from the anglocentric War of three Kingdoms, but for now they can stand in as a Royalist guard unit! 

They're half of a warlord games box of cuirassiers, plastic horses and metal figures with a choice of arms. You get twelve in a box, my units in pike and shot tend to be eight  strong, so rather than discard four ( heaven forfend!) I scrapped together some other figures, enter the unit commander a Foundry general in half armour demoted to leading the unit, lovely characterful figure, the unarmoured trumpeter was easy enough to do with standard warlord plastic parts and the others were made up of adding spare armoured arms to the most armoured of the warlord plastic set. The right arm was easy enough but I had to carve out the left and cut and shunt a spare metal right arm to fit but I  think it worked!








I've got a  game of Pike and Shot , the battle of Brentford coming up soon, so these will be useful for that but what I'm really short of is artillery so I'm working on that.


A variety of ebay purchases ,key rings , novelty items and some battle masters being converted plus a couple of scratch built battle carts for Ravenna in the background, the key ring guns will be battalion type guns with smaller  barrels in case/when I  go Swedish I've also got to prep and paint 42 gunners, mostly old glory, maybe not all at the same time?!

All the best 

Iain 

______________

39 comments:

  1. Excellent cuirassiers/guard cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking heavies Iain. Although the only documented Cuirassier unit in the ECW were Hazelrigs Lobsters, I think most gamers balance things up with a "speculative" Royalist unit, generally justified by making them the Kings Lifeguard, as you have done! I like the collection of artillery bits n pieces in the last pic....a fair bit of scratch building work going on there, by the looks of it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, yes no one can say it definitely didn't exist as a unit so why not ? ! Yes scratch building/ converting the name of the game for a while!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Wow, nice work. I can't make out which one has the scratch arm. The guns are going to be good. I don't know what a "key ring" gun is 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol, I got some of these from a castle run by English Heritage and in the shop they had the big guns as ornaments and the small ones were key rings I think which I've taken off, they were pretty cheap but worth a punt I figured!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. What a great find! I wish we had shops like that!

      Delete
  4. Great way to get some more guns, very inventive. Your lobsters look ace too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, high praise from your extensive period knowledge!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Lovely work , the cavalry are great and well matched. I think I have a few of those cannons sat somewhere waiting for me to decide what to use them for ?😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt , I thought you might, I'm sure you'll find a home for them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking unit Iain, the conversions are seamless and if you hadn't said, I would have said they were straight kits. That is a lot of artillery you are working on, from a wide variety of sources, hope you get them done in time for your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I think they'll do! Having a game is great impetus to get things done!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Your heavies look terrific, Iain! You have a lot of gun work in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking Cuirassiers Iain…
    An interesting mix of gunny bits l look forward to seeing how they all look.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely looking unit to fit into the plan. great animation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great Iain and should work well for the Thirty Years War. I bought similar figures for my 15mm unit. Given so many manufacturers make them I'd like to know who started the "myth" and who debunked it. As with so much of the ECW I suppose we will never know the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I think it's that the only formally reported unit are the lobsters, however there were hundreds of cuirassier sets recorded in England before the wars so you would have thought some of them must have been used?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. They may not be Napoleonic Iain but they still look great, the black armour would have been hot on a decent European summers day though. Who doesn't love the Polish winged hussars you refer to?

    Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, yes, not as hot as you are at the moment I'd guess! Being too hot in the UK is unusual and I certainly am a fan of Polish winged hussars!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Wel done on two front, the cobbled together cuirassiers look excellent and the whole mix of artillery pieces is veyr reminiscent o fmy years in the English Civil War society where we didn't have any two guns the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cobbled together suits the conflict rather well and that's certainly the jumbled finish I'm hoping for in my artillery park!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Lovely stuff Iain! Line the scratch-built gun ideas.
    Brentford eh! Shame you weren’t on the Battlefields Trust walk that I went in a few months ago.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I bet that walk was fun! Happily trundling along with the guns!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. OMG I'm loving the keychains and such as artillery! Amazing what people can find. great idea! 😀
    ohyeahthecavguysaregreattooyeahwhateverGUNS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to keep an eye out for useful stuff, even on family holiday time! Glad you like the cavalry!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Nice to see the progress with this project. Looking forward to seeing gow the guns turn out!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, yes I'll be interested too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. That cav unit looks so cool! Another excellent bits mashup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heavy cavalry of the period are really nice! Thanks Dai!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Wonderful! So animated. reminds me of an officer in the Sealed knot who wore a fine suit of 3//4 armour but it was shiny, he was known as Robocop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, sounds like he went for the aluminium set a la Excalibur!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. Yes, what Wargames with his salt would “waste” those four figures when some scrounging could result in two full units instead of one. 😁
    The results are excellent!

    ReplyDelete