Friday 5 October 2018

Rennaisance duel prize for Sir Sidney Roundwood

During the last Analogue Hobbies challenge I entered into a Rennaisance duel with Sydney Roundwood,as you can tell from the title of this post he won!
He has created a wonderful Low countries city ( Laarden) and populated it with virtual historical characters and real military units from the late 17th century.
As far as a prize, the terms were a 28mm command figure from the Rennaisance,so something to fit in with the Laarden , all my 17th century figures are for the English civil war,so 1640s,a bit early,then I remembered I had picked up a handful of War of the Spanish Succesesion figures from Foundry in maybe the late 1980s who have lain dormant for a mere 30 ish years!
Suitably aged and in the right size range,Foundry/Dixon but a little too modern, looking at period references it seemed that they were close but had hats not tricornes so I removed the tricornes,I ended up doing an officer and a drummer as I started with the drummer and felt I needed somebody more senior.
I painted the officer's wig as hair (my what curly hair you have!) Actually it's not far off my daughter's hair to be honest, and stuck on Cromwell's hat that I cut off when turning him into my fist shaking Christian fundamentalist Covenanter commander.
( You see,it is worth keeping everything Stew!)
The drummer got a plastic warlord hat and reversed colours.
I went back to one of my pre Osprey colour uniform reference from the 1960s, it's a lovely Danish book, so you get full coverage of Scandanavia and northern Europe which makes a nice change from the (understandable)Anglo/ American bias of most of the books I have.
So I looked up the relevant conflict and found a French officer who could match my figure and finished my drummer to suit.








So two figures! I am working on a unit of landsknechts,which are very nearly finished and trying to flag up my Italian wars forces.
All the best Iain


31 comments:

  1. Love the foppish look of officer, Iain. Nice conversion work on the drummer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work and congratulations to Sidney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! He was not only more productive but the quality of his work was excellent!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Nice figures......a lot to be said for discovering older figures hidden away. A period I need to get into in the future🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, it's nice finding figures in a box, surely it's only a matter of moments for you to paint up two splendid opposing forces in 18/15mm Jonathan? I look forward to seeing them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. A most impressive officer, he looks beautiful and so motivated, his troops are forced to follow his hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to be said for the French grey line uniforms,it's a great foil to all the excess you can pile on top!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Great figure and a good choice of colours for his uniform.
    If I could paint better I'd do renaisance too - probably one of the most oclourful periods to game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zabadak it's nice that it's only just uniform at best!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. I like these a lot Iain. Going very OS on both the figures and the reference book. I hadn't realized the Scandinavian origin on the book- not one I own but one I borrowed frequently from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, yes originally Danish, I've got it's companion piece which is warriors (I think) covering bronze age up to the 17th century,I say I think as my copy is in Danish! Fine once you work out Tysk is German after that it's pretty straightforward!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Excellent work! I would not have guessed there was any conversion involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz,minimal conversions but they often work out best!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Both look very fancy. Good work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent officer and drummer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say that one can’t keep everything but clearly I stand corrected! 😀 I do agree that digging out old miniatures is like buying new ones: the same sense of discovery. Especially after 30 years!
    Nice bet to have; fun game. Good job on coming through. The miniatures came out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! Good to pay out if you lose a bet!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Lovely characterful conversions. The Blandford looks to be a superb resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! It's a lovely book, nice illustrations.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Lovely work, and the conversion looks seamless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, keep them small that's what I reckon!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Full of floppy hatted goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! Just your kind of thing this , it'll be the Boyne next!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. I'm sure I once owned a copy of that Blandford. Lovely figures, really nice paint job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee,its a nice book and interesting period!
      Best Iain

      Delete