Monday 20 March 2017

Great Italian Wars 2 Tents and makeshift shelters

I hope to be a bit more regular posting now that the painting challenge is over, I've got a few posts that went on there that I will now start showing on this blog.
This little batch of scenery was for a bonus round in the challenge called "home".
I have been looking at prints of  camps from this period.
I liked the branch and sod shelter, so I thought I'd have a go at that.


I also wanted to have a go at the straw shelters.
The straw shelters and the branch and sod shelters are made from laminate flooring underlay which comes in fibrous sheets that I cut with a stanley knife and glued it together with woodworking PVA and down on to a hardboard base and then had a go at it with a wire brush . I painted these and the Rendra tents with emulsion paints.I extended the Rendra bell tent to give me a pavilion and I need to put a chest and bed inside it at some point.


I added some material to the tent.




A couple of crossbowmen for scale , I could have added a bit more texture to the straw shelters in retrospect, I like the underlay material, I use it for thatching as well.
All the best
Iain

4 comments:

  1. Iain! Your sod huts and tent turned out great! The huts look like they, indeed, have sod coverings. Quite crafty.

    I have not been following Curt's Painting Challenge this year. How did you fare and will we see a group shot of all of your entries?

    Looking forward to more frequent hobby updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan , the challenge was great fun and I painted quite a bit of Italian wars stuff and managed to reach my target and I'll be posting them on this blog.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Creative and wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, that is very good of you to say that.
      Best Iain

      Delete