Following on from the pillage game I've been knocking up some additional bases for livestock and assembled a warbases mdf cart, married to the donkey from the Perry Russian cart as I just want that as dressing. The ox cart was modelled on the warbase one and made from scrap mdf, resin wheels, balsa wood, ho/oo plastic wattle, wire, a leftover hinchcliffe bar and a minifigs ox Ive had for something like 47 years!
Ive put together a number of swine bases, for Plunder and also as dressing, some of the pigs are finished all in black as Iberian's to go with my Italian wars Spanish but who knows might feature in a peninsular game too? The rest are in various versions of brown as befits middle age swine, like the Tamworth breed. The vast majority of the pigs are toys that my sister picked up for me from French charity shops over the years, together with some of the ( unfortunately no longer available) Pegasus pigs. The rest of the cattle,sheep and goats are from the Pegasus set, some donated by Des that hed already painted. Ive finished the goats so that they resemble dark age sheep, Soay sheep.
Pretty goat like Id say?
That gives me enough cattle and livestock I think? Once Ive added them to my existing livestock?
Ive got some more Pegasus donleys, which could pull a cart or be used for Spanish artillery and a couple of oxen for some more carts.
The carts will at least count towards Dave Stones summer of scenery.
Next up AARs or maybe some Napoleonics? Im getting a bit closer on my Ravenna war carts too!
All the best
Iain



























Nice work on the carts and livestock. I have some primed for the Celts in 15mm. I went down a rabbit hole trying to work out what colour the cattle would be! Black and red brown mostly....
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to see how you tackle the Ravenna warwagons.
Neil
Thanks Neil, yes, I remember reading that post and thinking thats something Id probably do! I had an enjoyable chunk of time looking into medieval pigs,red brown and black seemed to be the answer there too!
DeleteBest Iain
Yes, nice work! Always useful to have some livestock and carts for a variety of scenarios or backgrounds.
ReplyDeleteThanks Fitz, I expect to get good use out of these!
DeleteBest Iain
You’re going to need a larger farm!
ReplyDeleteIm definately going to need more fencing!
DeleteBest Iain
A whole army of pigs! The only thing missing is the command pig bases😁😁😁 Great miniatures, they will certainly decorate the gaming table!
ReplyDeleteThanks Alexie, I did think I could use them as flaming pig tokens for Roman Republicans, although I would of course have to start that army!
DeleteBest Iain
Excellent cattle and carts Iain, they add a lot of atmosphere and character driven stories to your games.
ReplyDeleteTheyre always useful, nice to have some baggage/objective options!
DeleteBest Iain
Lovely additions ...... your bits and bobs box would fascinate me :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Norm ,Ill take a couple of photos for my next post!
DeleteBest Iain
Very nice modelling on the carts and a load of animal goodies too, lovely work on the livestock and plenty of them too.
ReplyDeleteTheyre useful, non period specific stands I think?
DeleteBest Iain
Excellent work Ian. Very versatile vignettes. Has the potential to be the most utilised figures in your collection.
ReplyDeleteChris
Yes, as they can be alnost any period, donkey cart excepted!
DeleteBest Iain
Very handy collection there Iain and painted beautifully.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Ben!
DeleteBest Iain
Nice work on the animals and cattle.
ReplyDeleteThanks Peter!
DeleteBest Iain
Great work Iain I think you have enough now 😂
ReplyDeleteYou can never have enough, wargaming maxim no3!
DeleteBest Iain
My goodness Iain, that's quite an array of livestock and carts. I have to say I think I prefer the scratchbuilt cart, really great stuff.
ReplyDeleteAlways fun to mess about and I think I agree with you!
DeleteBest Iain
Great work Iain and the scratch built cart is really well done. Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot, working on a few more!
DeleteBest Iain
Some fine looking livestock Iain…
ReplyDeleteIt should make a fine feast for the victors .
All the best. Aly
Lets hope they have a lot of apple sauce to aid digestion, hmm, apple trees...!
DeleteBest Iain
Add my admiration Iain, a nice addition to any table.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Chris!
DeleteBest Iain
Nice work on all these Iain - its a shame to read Pegasus don't make the livestock any longer - I got a box of the 28mm ones of my friend Andrew and they were useful to create some stock for Reivers to, well.......reive!
ReplyDeleteYes , Pegasus are out of production full stop, its a pity as I really like their Russian buildings as well!
DeleteBest Iain
Excellent work there Iain, and it's always nice to have some animals or carts for table dressing or as part of a scenario:)!
ReplyDeleteDressing or scenario, I entirely agree Steve!
DeleteBest Iain
Fine looking livestock there farmer Iain. They will add greatly to your table top.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
p.s. Interestingly, I picked up a set of farm animals the other week as I wanted a pig for a special stand, but the others will come in handy too.
Thanks James, livestock always useful!
DeleteBest Iain
Very useful additions love the carts and animals - well done.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much!
DeleteBest Iain
These are great! Love how you both used scrap pieces to make that second cart and used a fig that is almost as old as I am! LOL
ReplyDeleteThese Pillage rules really do sound like fun too. So many good reviews out there.
Thanks Dai, good to recycle and helpful to never throw anything away, although my wife says Im a hoarder!
DeleteBest Iain
Great collection of livestock there Ian, much more than a petting zoo! They will have so many uses across so many periods. My own flock of model sheep keep appearing randomly in the games I play, sometimes as loot in their own right! As an aside, I was disappointed when in Spanish Extremadura on a battlefields tour in 2024, not to see any brown sheep at all. After all of the brown wool to make clothing for all sides in the Peninsular War, I expected to see brown sheep aplenty. I think I probably bored more than a few others on the trip with this observation! :-D Best wishes, Jason
ReplyDeleteps. Apologies Iain, I spelt your name above in the style of one of my regular gaming friends out of habit and the post wouldn't let me edit to correct it.
DeleteThanks Jason, I think flocks in Spain have moved on from the early 19th century! Dont worry about spelling, it happens all the time!
DeleteBest Iain
Great looking animals and terrain pieces, Iain!
ReplyDelete