Monday 8 August 2022

Blunders on the Danube and Austrian Infantry regiment No 4 Hoch and Deutschmeister Napoleonic 19

Planning for my Christmas game I wanted to try and base the game on a historical battle if I  could and if not I wanted some scenarios for the 1809 Danube campaign.  Where else but Peter Anderson's Blunders on the Danube,( who's blog of the same name is a great resource) designed for Piquet but adaptable for other rulesets, I  managed to get a real book from Lancashire games ( I always prefer them to pdfs) I'll be using it for Blackpowder  I'm clearly joining the book posting fraternity!

In addition,another Napoleonic Austrian Infantry regiment, No 4 Hoch and Deutschmeister , this time it's, primed halfords grey, flesh, black, brown , facing colour and metal then agrax earthshade wash and then yellow and white, pretty happy with this lot, three of them were  painted during the Analogue Hobbies painting challenge, I've just changed the facing colour on those chaps, slightly different finish but I think they fit in, a bread and butter post but hey at least it's a post, having missed July due to a holiday, a trip abroad for a funeral and it just being too hot to paint. I've still got quite a few more Austrian units primed in grey ( and one primed in a combination of black and grey, that'll be interesting? I'd run out of grey and wanted them primed!) But I've primed a load more in white, how retro I hear you cry but I am going to try out contrast paints, who said I am a dinosaur incapable of change? I don't know who you are, but you might have a point, nevertheless in the interest of productivity I'm willing to give it a go!







In addition I had another Kings of War game at the club which was fun, I took some photos of the set up but after that was too busy, a hard fought draw which is an improvement, here are some photos since apparently without photos it didn't happen    ( so says Jonathan anyway!) Chariots were mostly useless but terribly characterful!








Next up? Napoleonic Austrian cavalry or French infantry? Or possibly some terrain with some paint rapidly thrown at it? Who knows, I know I don't!

All the best 

Iain 

35 comments:

  1. Great find on the book Iain, like you I prefer print to PDF where I can. The unit looks great, and another one down. When you try the contrast paint, have you picked up there medium for diluting it, as I hear this gives the best results, other than that I find for my tastes I still need to go back in and add highlights on white, so it effectively becomes a different form of wash.
    Great looking set up on your game, and nice to be able to get a game in and a better result to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'll bear that in mind re the medium.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Interesting post mate. I had some pretty poor results with contrast paint first time around, but I persevered and they’ve definitely helped speed up my recent painting. I’ve used citadel and they are all okay apart from the yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their new Ironjaws Yellow makes for a better yellow.

      Delete
    2. I'm interested in the white one as I have so many Austrians and other white uniforms and thanks Norm, yellow is always difficult too!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Peter will be happy to see this and get a royalty check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post, Matt, well worth the extended wait! The Austrians look great and the game too. Bread and butter as opposed to peanut butter and jelly/jam? The U.K. lags behind the US again.....I suppose at least it's not bread and dripping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith even if it isn't Matt! How about tea and marmalade ? I guess it includes a beverage which expands the remit!
      Best Iain ( not Matt!)

      Delete
  5. Great pics! You are making the most of the Summer, even under the circumstances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, some progress is still progress I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Re your black / grey primed figures, you could give them a quick blast of white directly from above, so you get white highlight and dark undercuts, the contrast paint might work well with that …..when its cooler of course ! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you again Norm, yes I could try , worth thinking about!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Lovely Austrians Iain and good to see your Ancient Britons in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus and glad you like my somewhat shoddy ancients!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. That's a cracking looking unit Iain and the game looks as if it was going to be epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael and it was a great to have a game!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Very nice Austrians Iain, and it will be very interesting to see how you go with the contrast paints. Nice to see Peter's book about to get a run. He really does come up with some nice scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, the only problem with Peter's book is that I think I need more figures than I've actually got, maybe that isn't a problem?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Good job on the unit and planning for the big Xmas game. I’ve been meaning to try out kings of war. How do you like it?
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I like it as a pick up game, it seems a bit strange as I'm used to rolling to activate and that doesn't exist but still definitely worth a go!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Great looking stuff Iain and I say what ever gets the regiments painted works for me.👍 we certainly enjoy Kings of war for larger battles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I agree on a pragmatic level! I've enjoyed Kings of War so far and happy to have more games of it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. WHo doesn;t like to see the Austrians i their helmets? Great looking unittoo. The game set-up looked like many a game I can recollect , all great fun and lots of slaughter !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Joe,yes a hard fought draw!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely Austrians Iain - I just love them helmets! And those chariots are spectacular too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, more Austrian helmets on the way and the chariots might be useless but I like them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  15. Very nice Austrians - not much of a napoleonic fan but nice is nice no matter the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,I do paint other periods but I am trying to be disciplined and stick to one thing for a while, after Christmas I think I'll dabble in some other periods!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. Lovely toys Iain…
    What’s not to like about white uniforms…
    I will be interested to hear your thoughts on Contrast Colours.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I'm coming around to white uniforms, I'd better have as there's lot's of Austrians and Westphalians to do!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Those Austrians look marvellous Iain and it's wonderful to see (even just to think, haha) that you got those new chariots on the table!
    Peter's book is a great resource, as you say. Have you decided on a battle/scenario for the Christmas game?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, haven't decided yet, although going to try to get two games , an 1809 Austrian v French with my chaps and then another game with my nephews armies, British and Russian, so a little bit a historical, I didn't think there'd be any British so I was thinking Austrian v Russian 1812 or French v Russian 1812, now I'm thinking 1814 and count the British as proxy Prussians! I've got a holiday coming up sitting in a villa in Spain and reading, in my case it will be rules and scenarios!
      Best Iain

      Delete