Saturday 23 October 2021

War of three Kingdoms/ECW 13 more shiny cavalry and a command stand

 Here are three more cavalry units and a command stand that I have cleaned and rebased.

The commander with poodle is very nice,as is the trumpeter, as he was spare once  I'd worked out the units I figured he could keep the commander company. I've got enough command figures for two more stands, although I doubt I really need them,I don't think I can integrate these figures into one of my units without repainting them, rebasing them is bad enough, God forbid I should have to repaint perfectly good figures too! I like the poodle,maybe he's meant to be Rupert  and his demonic familiar in the shape of a poodle? ( according to some sections of the parliamentary press) I can totally see why there are occult spin offs from this conflict, when you have elements of one side convinced they were fighting Armagedon and that their opposition were literally diabolical, we know which side had a Witchfinder General, I'd better paint up those skeletons! Thinking about it, if you were a demon would you really manifest yourself as a poodle? It does sound like the kind of drunken conversations you'd have after too much ale( it would have to be ale,certainly real ,probably in a pewter mug) but I very definitely digress so back to lead alloy  turned into 28mm figures and not drinking vessels!












































Slightly odd order from blogger, oh well, a lot of photos to upload on the phone and you get the idea, a nice useful load of mounted reinforcements, infantry next,then dragoons, what I really need to address is the lack of artillery, I've got the guns I just need to sort out the crews,and assemble the guns and prime them and paint and base,anyway it's going to be a while and I'm sure something else will come up before then!
All the best 
Iain 

44 comments:

  1. Great rebasing Iain, and they look like they should fit in well. As for the unit of skeletons for the occult wars, I think that's a great idea ! I don't think it was just the ale, as these were simple people and blamed anything they didn't understand on witchcraft !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave,I was thinking more along the line of a modern pub,conversation, after a few pints...!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Your reorg and rebasing makes good progress. I am loathe to repaint perfectly good figures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely progress, no completed painting for a while, but still progress!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Love the Rupertesquian commander ;) Your post also had me looking into Matthew Hopkins for the first time. Looking forward to seeing the whole show on their new bases, all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly an interesting period for more than just the battles, hoping to do Marston Moor in December!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. Oooh, MM would be pretty cool. I'll look forward to that.

      Delete
  4. The off-set position of each pair of horses has great impact when the unit is grouped / in line. The poodle is a lovely touch. ….. though I spent more tome looking at the poodle than the command base :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, lots of fun positioning horses and more importantly poodle!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Bloody he’ll mate are you going for Naseby on a 1:1 figure ratio?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Iain. I think there are too many new figures to paint without worrying about repainting nice old ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I do of course agree with you!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Very nice again Iain, all figures bar the commander seem to be a mix of various Front Rank cavalry - I am pretty sure the commander isn't though - the horse looks like different sculptor. Its de rigeur for every ECW range to include a poodle isnt it??! Maybe you can consider something similar to Stu with his Elizabethan Zombie Wars, jus a couple of generations later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the commander seemed like a different manufacturer too,I'd better pick up some zombies!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. Excellent cavalry, command and canine!
    Demonic poodle? Could be... ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely vacalry, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have rebased well.
    I've also noticed blogger putting pictures in reverse order lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't complain, it usually works!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Nore great reinforcements and they'll blend in well with your current troops, with their new basing.
    Rupert's poodle would have been a hunting dog, bigger than today's cutesy pets (but probably still a demonic beast).
    Of course despite their apparent Parlaimentarian look these could be used for either side too - score !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I envisage them coming out to play for either side!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. I would totally disguise myself as a poodle if I were a demon. Who would suspect? And I happen to know that most demons already like tummy rubs. 😀
    Nice job on the basing. Basing brings an army together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your definitely in the poodle/demon camp,basing seems to be tying these chaps in with the ones I've painted I hope!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Nice work Iain! Love the poodle, though I suspect it would have been a tad more aggressive creature in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, everybody loves the poodle!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Nice work , the reinforcements will look splendid in battle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them, you really know how to bring these to life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do like me some cavalry and these look splendid Iain!

    As to the conversation about poodles, demons and fighting in the apocalypse - that sounds like a topic of conversation I would have had with my mates as a teen smoking pot on the Tenby dunes! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai,yes,definitely a wrecked kind of conversation !
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. Beautiful troop Iain. And the mascott poodle is a nice touch. I agree with Norm, the offset of the horses lends realism when grouped. Oh and I always love the way your bases turn out.
    Best regards,
    Vol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Re-basing rears its head now and then but well worth it with those masses of cavalry. Look forward to seeing the guns all crewed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat,I have at least bought the gun crews now,stage one completed!
      Best Iain

      Delete