I asked if anyone wanted a Napoleonic or pike and shot game in the club whatsapp group and got a positive response, so at the last club we had a game of Valour and Fortitude.
My opponent plays 40k sixth edition and Necromunda but fancied having a go at Napoleonics and is a military history buff, which is always helpful. As it was a learning game I didn't use the latest edition of V&F but used the one I'm comfortable with. Two brigades apiece 250 points each, he chose the French, one brigade with three line units, a unit of artillery and a unit of hussars, the second brigade had three line infantry units, a unit of artillery and two units of dragoons. I had the Austrians with two brigades, one with three units of line infantry, a unit of landwehr ,one newly painted unit of hussars and a unit of artillery, the other brigade had three units of line infantry and two of cuirassiers. He rolled higher and chose to be the attacker,so set up second and went first which with the French, being in assault column, occupied two of the objectives, the built up areas imediately, the less defendable bridges were left.
I assaulted the farm with predictable results , the French dragoons moved to my right flank and his hussars to my left flank, we traded artillery shots in the middle of the table, I took the odd hit, I was wearing down the unit in the built up area but he swapped them for a fresh unit . One unit of dragoons moved towards the centre of the table so I thought Id attack and take the little advantage I had with my hussars but the dragoons were just victorious and the newly painted unit were destroyed. That dragoon unit charged the infantry unit in front of it and was succesful, meanwhile an infantry unit and the other dragoon unit removed the last line unit in that brigade. On the other flank both units of cuirrasiers headed for the enemy while avoiding artillery cross fire, the French infantry advanced and a lively melee ensued, both units of cuirassiers hit the hussars with predictable results , then hit a French infantry unit in the flank, as this was the last go I occupied both bridges, so honours even but with the last melee between two line infantry units I failed a valour test, followed by failing a fortitude test giving the game to my opponent!
Great fun, nice to get the German buildings out and the figures, we both enjoyed it and he's up for another valour and fortitude game or indeed other historical games, it took a bit longer than two hours because there was quite a bit of explaining but all good.
Next up, another AAR, some dark ages, Italian wars, Napoleonics or terrain!
Best Iain



















Excellent! Looks and sounds like fun.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Fitz!
DeleteBest Iain
That looks like a great game to introduce he rules and just over two hours seems like a good result especially if you are explaining as you go.
ReplyDeleteYes, not too long but still fun!
DeleteBest Iain
That's a nice sized game and it says much for V&F (intended for bigger games) that it does good justice to 2 brigades per side. I like the church set on the angle.
ReplyDeleteFine looking game Iain!
ReplyDeleteA possible convert to historical gaming? Good for you!
ReplyDeleteA splendid looking introduction game 👍
ReplyDeleteVery nice looking game Iain and wonderful figures.
ReplyDeleteGood to give the new recruit a win, you can smash him once he has painted his first army and is hooked 😂
Very nice looking game Iain, figures and terrain look the business, nice to see your Napoleonics on the table.
ReplyDeleteNice looking game Iain and letting the opponent win to get him to come back and play a "real" wargame again was a sound tactic!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing the Lord's work sir!
ReplyDeleteGreat looking game, Iain! Excellent to see a potential convert to historical wargaming, and sounds like a very close finish. Terrific figures and terrain!
ReplyDeleteWooow! Looking amazing!
ReplyDeleteExcellent looking game Iain, and good that it sounds like you may have another opponent at the club to.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking game, Iain.
ReplyDeleteGood gaming with excellent figures and terrain, Iain! Also, great to hear you buddy enjoyed the Napoleonic gaming.
ReplyDelete