Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Pretty in pink, Palazzo Lucia and bits and bobsterrain 33

 So just squeezing into the summer of scenery, here is an mdf TT Combat Palazzo Lucia that I got at Salute a long time ago, I think they still sell it? I have assembled and painted it up for the Great Italian wars primarily, I thought it might work well for the villa of Bicocca  as we seem to be working our way through the  various historical battles.




Clamped together while drying and sorting the scrap into useful components, some of it went into ox carts! Waste not want not, there is after all a war on! I gave it a wash of stone colour, then tried to match something like the buildings from the Ursula cycle which are from the end of the 15th century, begining of the 16th, so good for the Italian wars, black wash, terracotta wash, pink wash then picked out with a lighter stone colour all emulsion paints ,mostly tester pots or left overs, the stone colour I mixed for the front of the house!






Little bit of flock around and about but really a primarily urban build I guess, pretty happy with this handsome little villa, as I have been with almost all the TT Combat stuff. As you can see, some 100 years war figures being worked on for Agincourt and sneaking in, hopefully I'll finish my 25mm Crecy/Poitiers project started in the 1970's before them!

Theres also a work in progress of some stone walls Ive been meaning to do for a while.





Here they are finished! They're inspired by some I saw ages ago on Olicanalads blog, individual stones glued with pva, althoughI used gorrilla glue woodworking pva so the drying time was a bit more rapid. Emulsion ,black wash,brown wash, wet brush with a lighter stone colour, flock.





I also took the opportunity to do a bit more work on my stone circle, in my haste to complete them I'd finished them a la 1980s GW,eg monolithic dark grey for stone, which was always meant to be a base, so I've wet brushed them with some stone colour and then  did a black wash followed by a brown wash followed by moss on the stones.




I think they're better for it, what do you think?

That's it for terrain Tuesday and the end of summer

Next up? Maybe Napoleonics, dark ages or Great Italian wars?

All the best 

Iain

42 comments:

  1. Very nice terrain! It’s made with soul. I’m looking forward to adding your collection to the Great Italian Wars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexi, its actually already been used in a battle, I've got to post the AAR!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. That all looks great Iain. The villa seems like it would take a bit of patience to put together. The stones look terrific and I really like the moss effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, needed a bit of clamping but all pretty straightforward!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. That building is a delight to the eye, I love it! But I have to praise your stone walls, they look simply perfect! What a nice batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, I cant tell you how long Ive been meaning to make those walls!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. You’ve been a busy lad. Great results. Particularly like the colours you’ve put on the building. Very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, took a while on the villa but it was worth it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Excellent all around! The colors on the villa look perfect. The stone walls using actual pebbles look very good, too. And the stone circle looks good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent villa and terrain Iain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice terrain, looks great. The building looks lovely, superb work on it, should be impressive on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your villa build turned out great! One can never have too many stone walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I agree on the stone walls!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Nice work, I find MDF hard to paint, your colours and evens of colour density are spot on. A smile for looking at the MDF 'bits' for the useful box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yes I agree, so I tried a different approach, by doing washes so I don't lose the detail? Always good to stock up the bits box!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Wonderful work Iain! The building is very nice but so are the stone walls.

    Good to give the stone circle an update. I assume that this will ensure a favourable response from the dice gods 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, never presume to question the dice gods!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Cracking terrain update, Iain! That TT Combat Palazzo Lucia looks absolutely grand—the layered washes and pink stone tone capture that late Renaissance Italian look spot-on. I often find MDF a right pain to paint, so you’ve done a grand job getting such an even, realistic finish on it!

    The stone walls and the updated stone circle look top-notch as well—the moss detail and extra wash layers give the monoliths so much life compared to the old grey look.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, yes washes are, I feel the way to go on mdf and happier with the stone circle now!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Excellent work on all Iain, precision building and painting on the MDF building, the hand built stone walls look perfect, and the additional weathering and colors make the stone circle more natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, in by the skin of my teeth!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Great stuff Iain the Italian wars building is splendid , I love the two tone colour and decoration very nice, I ended up buying my walls as they were really more effective than me making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I know what you mean on the walls but they didnt take too lobg once I finally decided to do them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. What a good looking building, the pink sells the era immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is all fantastic looking stuff Iain - the Palazzo is superb. I have often considered buying some TTG product, they do seem incredibly good value, compared with most others? The walls look great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes TTCombat are very good value I find?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. That's a brilliant looking building Iain, love the shade of pink you used, its very subtle. Excellent looking walls as well, I've been meaning to make some of these myself for around 10 years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thinks its about 10 years for me too on the stone walls but didn't take too long once I decided to do it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  17. The Palazzo is fantastic. Your colour scheme really looks the part, Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely job on a great kit there Iain:)! I keep meaning to try making stone walls like this, or use a mould, but given I have plenty of cork walls already, they're not high on my priority list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldnt have thought it worth it in the scales you use?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  19. All of this looks great. The villa has some pleasing colours and looks very thematic and those walls are excellent. Reminds me I have some plastic ones that need basing and painting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, we all have terrain lurking that needs finishing!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  20. Great work all round Iain. The palazzo is a beaut - do you have a Juliette figure? I really like the stone circle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Chris, I have a Lucricia Borgia figure , will she do?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete