Monday, 31 August 2026

Austrian hussar regiment no 7 Liechtenstein Napoleonic 92

So finally a post! The first of two Austrian hussar regiments based on Perry plastic British early light dragoon riders, with Austrian hussar heads, mounted on home cast Prince August horses with added plastic Perry medieval or Warlord ECW horse necks and light cavalry bridle wearing heads, something of a Francenstein unit but I think with a bit of greenstuff they're good enough,  regiment no 7 Liechtenstein


The usual fast and dirty paint job, they look a little more workmanlike ,in their all blue uniform , than Hessen Homburg I think?




I like these at least in part because theyre made up of left over bits and bobs, apart from the horse mould which cost about £5 in a sale, they're all but the officer on French heavy cavalry horses, which aren't as small as some of their earlier horses, these ones are ,if skinny, taller than Foundry horses, so work better with 28mm figures

Next, who knows, probably Italian wars or terrain?

All the best 

Iain 

40 comments:

  1. Can't help but admire the way you create new figures out of bits and pieces Iain. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I think I enjoy doing them more than just straight from the box, plus it makes them really cheap,like me!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. These look great, Iain! The bright colors really make these troopers "pop!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jonathan, I agree but understated next to Hessan Homburg!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Wait, are they Fronkenstein or Liechtenstein? (joking)
    Either way, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, definatly Frankenstein-Lichenstein!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Brilliant bit of kitbashing using all sorts to create a great looking unit, lovely uniform, should look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home cast you say? Do you have your own smelter and centrifuge at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have a little heater and some rubber moulds, on the scale Im working at I don't need anymore!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Well I do love a bit of converting, but this is taking it to another level:)! These chaps do look very colourful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iain, wonderful unit that really looks great and will stand out in any game, lots of converting makes the castings unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! A great result Iain from all those bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are definitely the Dr Frankenstein of historical models Iain, so creative the way you have used all the bits to create a new unit, the painting is fantastic as always and ties them all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, high praise from the arch converter!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Sign them up Alexi and send them at the French!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  11. Love the idea of home casting with Prince August, have always fancied a go, but never jumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a go in the 1980s, wasnt that great but the bodies are useful, now we have so much spare plastic, so Ive got additional horses and artillery which are pretty useful?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. Regt von Frankenstein look fab! Great and clever conversion work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those Prince August horses came out very well. The end result looks completely seamless. Great work Iain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence,pretty happy with them!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  14. Great looking hussars using a combination of kits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great bit of odds and ends assembled to a fine looking unit.
    If you were so inclined, the trumpeter could have a red plume (about the only distinction for trumpeters in the Austrian Hussars), but he looks just fine as he is, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are of course correct and I will touch him up as soon as possible, thanks Peter!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  16. I always enjoy the sense of speed and movement in your compositions, they look really sweet

    ReplyDelete
  17. They'll pop really well on the table in those colourful uniforms.

    Really nice job on the mish-mash of all those parts. Another really good looking bunch of cohesive troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, lots of fun bodging them together!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  18. I really like the way you are able to use up all these extra "bits" of Perry figures, Iain - I have squadrons of various Napoleonic cavalry but without any horses - and I doubt I will ever do anything with the, even though I have hung onto almost all the extra unused pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to hold onto extra bits I think, warlord regularly have sales where you can pick up their plastic ecw horses for not much or dont they ship to NZ? Or you could get a prince august horse mould, think mine cost £5 in one of their sales?
      Best Iain

      Delete